Beach Casting

kenmare

Hi fishraiders,

I've fished the beach for years -- for tailor, salmon, bream and flathead -- but rarely for jew. Last summer I tried for jew by casting a four ounce sinker and large squid bait on 30 lb monofilament line, large overhead multiplier reel, and a rod built on a MT8132 blank. I could cast barely 20 metres -- felt like a real wimp.

With the same outfit, and a lighter one like it, on a good day I can consistently throw a 2 or 3 oz metal lure over 70 metres (80 yards).

Much of the difference might be because a large bait and sinker combination is less aerodynamic than a metal lure. But is there a special technique required for casting big bait/heavy sinker combinations?

Is it better to use braid? Is that likely to help me gain more distance?

I've searched the internet and found heaps of distance casting information: overhead uni-tech cast, off-the-ground cast and pendulum cast. Does anyone use these when casting for jews?

Or is distance not so important. Is it enough to fish the bait just outside the shore break?

:1fishing1:

Edited by kenmare

Guest lbgking

G'day Kenmare.

I used to rig up with the heaviest gear I could find and cast out to New Zealand. I went back to a regular haunt in the day boogie boarding and realised I had been casting onto the sandbar :05:

The old saying "fish at your feet" even applies on beaches and you will find that big Jew's feed in the close gutters at night.

Hi Kenmare

Yes braid will help some but hows your casting with the overhead...the braid tangles can be a bugger to get out. What sort of overhead is it...some are less castable than others.

In the end though a large bait has so much wind resistance its always going to be a struggle. Best thing is to know the limitations of your setup and fish accordingly..go for the close in gutters.

Cheers

Chris

ps. The casting methods you've seen may help but won't sit well with an MT...go the big overhead thump!

G`day Fellas ,

I have to agree with lbgking , most big fish caught at night , are caught less than 15 feet from the shore.

The biggest Jew I have seen caught ( 63LB ) was caught no more than 10 feet from the shore , using a flick stick , with 9LB line and a 3/0 hook baited with a store bought worm.Mick

Hi Kenmare

Yes braid will help some but hows your casting with the overhead...the braid tangles can be a bugger to get out. What sort of overhead is it...some are less castable than others.

In the end though a large bait has so much wind resistance its always going to be a struggle. Best thing is to know the limitations of your setup and fish accordingly..go for the close in gutters.

Cheers

Chris

ps. The casting methods you've seen may help but won't sit well with an MT...go the big overhead thump!

Hi Chris,

I'm a pretty good caster with an overhead: started over 30 years ago with a surfmaster and then a seascape. If you're under age 40 that probably won't mean much to you, but in their day they were the overhead reels to own. I've been spoilt since then by using an ABU 7000, which has a centrifugal cast control system to help prevent over-runs (but cuts down distance).

However, the reel I was using for jewie fishing was an old Diawa Sealine SL 250H (graphite frame model) that I've fished at night with, without drama. Its spool just runs on bushes -- I've found that type of reel's less likely to get away from you than one with the spool running on ball bearings.

I don't understand why you reckon the distance casting methods I mentioned won't work with an MT 8132? Please explain further.

Regards,

Bob

G`day Fellas ,

I have to agree with lbgking , most big fish caught at night , are caught less than 15 feet from the shore.

The biggest Jew I have seen caught ( 63LB ) was caught no more than 10 feet from the shore , using a flick stick , with 9LB line and a 3/0 hook baited with a store bought worm.Mick

Hi Mick,

Seems that casting distance isn't the problem then.

A 63 lb jew on 9lb line and 3/0 hook baited with store bought worm ... just goes to show the key to catching jewies is getting on the beach at night -- and spending enough time with a bait in the water?

But what is enough time?

Regards,

Bob

G`day Fellas ,

Kenmare , of the 60 Odd jews I have caught here over the last 2 years , all bar One have been at night.

Consulting my notes from all my Catches over the last 5 years here , One amazing fact stood out from all others.

A high tide of 1.5 Metres , one hour before dark , was way ahead of everything else , and if the barometer read 1020 , then it was always multiple hookups .

I limit my fishing time to about 3 hours these days , I hour before and 2 after.

All my fish have been taken on either Salted Pilchards , worms , tailor Strips , and all close to the drop off , less than 20/30 feet from shore.

Mick.

Bob

The casting techniques you mention came from the distance casting world, a land of fast taper but more importantly stiff butt section...early models even had ally inserts to stiffen them. Basically you'll get to much flex thru the MT and whilst you'll get a cast you'll lose controllability.

Try it if you want but you won't get the results you read about on the net.

Cheers

Chris

the idea that heaps of fish are caught at your feet is all well and good, but plenty of gutters are out wider and plenty of big fish have also been caught with big casts, so it does pay to know how to whack a big bait out there.

Some good Jews came of Narra beach last year within spitting distance from the shore. This reason being the entrance to the lagoon. So, in this instance you'd stay close to shore. At the same time I wouldn't hesistate to cast further out. If there is a back break occuring 50 - 100m out, then there is some good territory to be covered there as well. For me beach fishing comes down to combing the whole beach area being fished, covering as much ground as possible with each cast.

Cheers,

Spizza :thumbup:

Edited by spizza

G`day Fellas ,

Kenmare , of the 60 Odd jews I have caught here over the last 2 years , all bar One have been at night.

Consulting my notes from all my Catches over the last 5 years here , One amazing fact stood out from all others.

A high tide of 1.5 Metres , one hour before dark , was way ahead of everything else , and if the barometer read 1020 , then it was always multiple hookups .

I limit my fishing time to about 3 hours these days , I hour before and 2 after.

All my fish have been taken on either Salted Pilchards , worms , tailor Strips , and all close to the drop off , less than 20/30 feet from shore.

Mick.

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the valuable tip: as I suspected, you've got to be smart, as well as persistent.

Regards,

Bob

Bob

The casting techniques you mention came from the distance casting world, a land of fast taper but more importantly stiff butt section...early models even had ally inserts to stiffen them. Basically you'll get to much flex thru the MT and whilst you'll get a cast you'll lose controllability.

Try it if you want but you won't get the results you read about on the net.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for setting me right. You've obviously looked into this and/or done some serious distance casting yourself.

Do you know of any reasonably priced beach casting rods or blanks that would be more suitable than the MT8132 for pelting big bait/heavy sinker combinations out wide? Might have landbased snapper applications as well as when fishing for jew.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the valuable tip: as I suspected, you've got to be smart, as well as persistent.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Chris,

Thanks for setting me right. You've obviously looked into this and/or done some serious distance casting yourself.

Do you know of any reasonably priced beach casting rods or blanks that would be more suitable than the MT8132 for pelting big bait/heavy sinker combinations out wide? Might have landbased snapper applications as well as when fishing for jew.

Regards,

Bob

Gday Bob

Best beach outfit for jew that I've used is a 12ft 8-wrap Snyder Glas with low mount and Alvey (I fish 25lb line on this). Old-school but effective, and it's kinda fun to listen to my mates bag me then stress about the sand getting into their high-tech gear. An Alvey'll outcast any eggbeater or overhead in my experience.

I dunno about using braid in the surf... not for the tangles, but because the stretch in the mono helps when you're bringing a fish through the break.

Re: the right casting distance... there is no consistent right difference, you just have to check your spot out before it gets dark and look for the gutters ands channels. If they're out deep, cast deep; if they're in close then there's no need for a long cast.

Cheers

Josh