Blackfish chat

joshGTV

I've been chasing blackfish for about 18 months now, and I've always found that when they're on, they're really on, until this morning anyway. I headed to a previously productive wharf, dropped a bait in, and within 10 seconds I had a good fish on. 'Here we go', I thought, a good morning's fishing ahead. Eagerly put a new bait in and 90 minutes later hadn't seen another bite. Couldn't see any movement around the pylons. Seemed strange that there would have been only one fish hanging around - usually if there's one fish, there's a school, and if they're biting, they're all hungry. Does what happened this morning seem strange to anyone else? Any tips?

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Blackfish can often be tough around and just after a full moon, like we're experiencing now.

Good point, hadn't thought of that, thanks for the tip

I think Kingie Chaser and Green Hornet have made good points. Tide is also a big influence on Blackfish, as Useless Fisho just reported about a new spot he fished. Some places fire on a run in others on the run out or part of.

I had similar experience to yours, got my first quickly and thought this is going to be good, I didn't realise my float stopper moved during the fight. I went fishless for a good spell.

They can also spook by Cormorants or other species like grouper or kings.

I second Ozzybass's response. 

The area i fish has resident fish that are much darker in colour and lighter travelling fish.

Catching a darker fish straight away doesn't mean alot but catching a lighter coloured fish straight away often means your in for a good session.

Ash

20 minutes ago, Oscarthebeagle said:

I second Ozzybass's response. 

The area i fish has resident fish that are much darker in colour and lighter travelling fish.

Catching a darker fish straight away doesn't mean alot but catching a lighter coloured fish straight away often means your in for a good session.

Ash

That's really interesting, I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I suspect the two may come in different sizes as well. I first fished for blackfish in Narrabeen Lagoon and the resident fish were always sub-30cm. When the lake was open and big tides were running you'd catch larger models, generally around 35cm and up. The theory was that they were coming in from the ocean to feed.

Hi,

I've had the same thing happen over the years but not too often. ATM we're in between seasons and estuary fish numbers have been affected by firstly the drought which saw salinity of usually brackish waters rise which affected a number of aspects of the food chain. Then the floods which in my area cleared out a lot of the usual blackfish haunts of weed etc. We're also between seasons and here in Tuggerah Lakes, the blackfish have been very patchy from what I can gather. Things will get better.

Sometimes fishing is just like that.

KB