Fly Reel Drag

skullyboy05

Hi everyone,

I recently decided that I wanted to give Flyfishing a go and went out and bought a shakespeare cedar canyon 9 foot 5/6wt.

Being a curious creature, I wanted to see how it worked before heading out onto an adventure across the mountains. One thing I did notice was that the drag adjuster did nothing, it also makes a click sound just the same as my Alvey when the bite indicator is on. It would appear as though the two are related to each other with a linkage when you take the spool apart.

Is this normal or have I got a defective reel? I understand that it isn't the top quality Reel out there but I also expected it to work as intended.

Hi SB05.

As a starting point is it set up as left hand or right hand. You have an Alvey so it sounds like you are familiar with this direct drive reel but if I don't start with the simple questions I'll probably kick myself later. There is a one way bearing inside of it which will allow free spool in one direction and allow the drag to work in the other direction.

Which model reel Is my next question. I have several and the drag system is a little different in each one. Even better can you take out the spool and take some photos.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 1

Hi, if you are using the combo fly reel then I think it was most  likely just a spool tension adjuster  that makes a small resistance to prevent reel from freespoolling once you pulled extra line for casting.  

• Like 1

As Derek said they are handed so with most the one way bearing is reversible.

it will freewheel in one direction should be take-up, if the drag adjustment increases the take up tension it is arse about.

if you are only trout fishing it will pretty rare to fight a fish off the reel anyway , ive got a mate who thought trout fought hard-until i got him to bring his fly rod out to catch some small dollies one day- first two fish busted him off in less than a second, he was ok after that and then went and upgraded his gear before he tryed saltwater again.