Heading out of Sydney for a fishing trip.. where should I go?

Berrero

Heya raiders.

After a very long slog the past 6 months between work / uni / covid etc I will be taking 2 weeks off from the 15th of august. I'm not ashamed to admit that I am planning to use the full two weeks to fish to my hearts content.

I am local to Sydney and will be fishing mostly around the local area but I'm tossing up the idea of packing up my gear jumping in my car and heading up / down the coast for a good 4 days or so. I havent ever fished outside of the sydney area (grew up in qld) and I'm not really sure which way / how far I should go.. other than what looks pretty on google maps :)

just wondering if any of you raiders were in my shoes what your recommendations would be. I understand that everyone would have their own favourite place but if I'm committing to heading out of town for a few nights figured I'd do a bit of "research".

I cut my teeth fishing estuaries and wading sand flats so locations with these would be ideal. Will be land based but not ruling out hiring a tinny for a day or two.

I'm probably looking to cap the driving to around 6 hours one way.

Thanks in advance raiders. And you can bet your last servo prawn I'll be posting reports.

Tight lines 

There is literally thousands of options, probably as far as Narooma will fit your distance, and between Sydney and Narooma you could find so many places to fish it will make your head spin, just pick a place and give it a go, same goes for heading North.

24 minutes ago, noelm said:

There is literally thousands of options, probably as far as Narooma will fit your distance, and between Sydney and Narooma you could find so many places to fish it will make your head spin, just pick a place and give it a go, same goes for heading North.

apologies - I understand how vague of a question it is. I'm not necessarily after a "this is where I should have my holiday", more so after suggestions that would be worth the 4-6 hour drive for what I'm after

You need to remember it's winter, so most Flathead and Whiting have gone to bed for the year, so walking the flats will be hard work, but still good fun, all around the Illawarra area has lots of flats fishing, as does just about every coastal town, Lake Tabouri, Burril Lake , Narooma, places like that offer great flats fishing.

If you have been keeping an eye on the sites fishing reports lately you would have seen some good king action in middle harbour & long reef.

Again you only have to drive to Ports Stephens & head out to Broughton to try & get int some snapper action!

I personally dont thing you have to drive far but if its a sea change/long road trip  your after then I understand.

Edit:Just realised your land based, my bad 😬

Foster/Tuncurry?

Edited by kingie chaser

Go North, it's always nicer to be a bit warmer.

I just come back from a week up at South West Rocks. More a family holiday than a fishing trip this time, but it's a great location with plenty of landbased options.

I mainly fished for blackfish along the wall but also saw or heard of bream and jewfish being caught each time i was at the wall.

• Like 1