Blackfish rigs for strong currents

GirellaMan

Hi Fishos

During the weekend blackfish outing, in the favourite Sydney Harbour spot, things were going great with 4 in the keeper bag, until the drift got really fast, which hadn't happened before, at this point the float was leaning right over and at this point the downs stopped. Upgraded to a bigger float with more lead, still seemed to lean right over and no further joy with the fish. It wasn't windy at all, it seemed to be the current. What's the drill to deal with this? - a float with lead on the stem? A big float with lots of lead on the rig? A string of split shots? A float that's shaped like a sail? Any bright ideas? I guess I'll try all this if it happens again! Thanks for your help.

GirellaMan.

Sounds like it's about the time to go & have a coffee.

Not much you can do about tidal flow.

There is a window of time if the surrounds allow to cast above the run & walk with the float as it rides the tide.

When the run gets to strong it's time to clean the catch & go home imo.

It is what it is.

Sounds to me like you did everything right...sometimes the floats just lean over with the current and also the wind.

As long as the bait is getting down to the depth you want it to and, the constant retrieving and casting due to the super-fast drift isn't bothering you, the fishing can still be good.

If the depth you set isn't happening, you may like to switch to a fixed float rather than running.

KB

• Like 1

Thanks fishos got plan B, C, D, ... to try out, I think the basic problem was the bait wasn't going down to where the fish probably were due to turbulent currents and upwellings. Another blackfish lesson for me - there's always something new to learn. There was another fisho using stringy weed a bit further round from me, the exact same thing happened to him too, so probably it wasn't they decided suddenly no to cabbage and yes to stringy. Of course the fish might have simply swum off...