Lake Burley Griffin

granpop

Boat launched at the Black Mountain ramp about 8.00 am. Heaps of rowers cluttering up the lake :1prop:

Spent 2 hours trolling and casting, looking for a cod or Yella, but no luck - not even a redfin. Puttered over to a weedy patch I know that drops into 5 metres water and started casting and drifting, the anchored. In the next 90 minutes I kept 8 reasonable redfin and released a bunch of others.

Piccies attached.

post-557-1134525216_thumb.jpg

They are EXCELLENT eating - probably the best freshwater eating fish. Related to Jewies - yes - both are fish :1prop: . Seriously, Redfin are a freshwater perch in the perch family, jewies are saltwater, but not sure if they are in the larger perch family.

Cheers

They are EXCELLENT eating - probably the best freshwater eating fish. Related to Jewies - yes - both are fish :1prop: . Seriously, Redfin are a freshwater perch in the perch family, jewies are saltwater, but not sure if they are in the larger perch family.

Cheers

a few nice redfin there granpop

well done :thumbup:

Nice Reds Granpop!

What did you use for a lure?

and you wouldn't let us know where your "Secret" spot is would you? :(

They move around a bit. I drift around weedbeds in water that is 4 to 5 metres deep until I get a hit, then anchor. Lure is a brown body/green tailed grub from BassPro - outfishes all other SPs on redfin. Costs about $5 a packet of 20, and I can usually catch 10-20 redfin/lure before it is wrecked. 'Expensive' hobby isnt it?

If anyone is in Canberra and wants a morning on the lake, pm me and will see if the wind looks like being reasonable. I only have a little leccy motor and if the wind is unkind, I cannot get back to the ramp :05: