What is this thing? AMSA query

mrsswordfisherman

Posted on Australian Maritime Safety Authority fb page
One of our followers has asked for some help identifying an object found in an old boat builder's tool box - perhaps used on a clinker-built boat. It's made of steel with perfectly bevelled edges. We have a few ideas on what it might be... But we're hoping someone here knows what it is! 
EF74E026-3916-4A13-A315-C62D7DCDA973.jpeg9E74F039-B64F-475D-87CC-077E3E0BC9E9.jpeg

My calculated guess is that I think its some kind of gauge or template for Timber Boat Building.

Defined angles can be transferred using a sliding bevel and transferred on to timber pieces and therefor cut accordingly.

Or

used as a gauge just like a square to place in timber joints/members before fixing into position.

Coming from wood working background, I don't think its a chisel or cutter as there would be a handle of some sort and a shiny bright edge on the assumed sharp cutting edge.

I could be wrong though!

Good luck and will follow with interest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In another lifetime I was a qualified shipwright and boat builder, having started my apprenticeship in 1971.   I can honestly say that during my time in the trade never saw anything like that being used by another tradesman or in the possession of another tradesman