Wollongong Swell conditions.

StuWard

Hi all

New Boatie here that bought a Savage 490 BayCruiser just before Christmas. 
We’ve had some fantastic days on Lake Illawarra so far. Great fishing with the family. 
we are really keen to take her out on the ocean, but the conditions so far this year seem to be too rough for our maiden voyage outside. 

is it normal for Wollongong to have constant swells of greater than 1.5m this time of year ? If so when do they calm down ?

I think there has been 1 weekend of calmer conditions but Sod’s law I was working 😡

El Nino mate, it's crappier conditions all over! Has been a terrible season for offshore fishing.. Need something a bit bigger boat wise to combat the swell/rain etc.. 

Agree with StuWard i wouldn't be going out much bigger then 1.5 especially if the wind kicks up - becomes quite sketchy. I have a 4.75 topender and have been out in 2-2.5m swell but with zero wind and it's completely fine. The hop makes it sketchy!

• Like 2

On 2/19/2021 at 7:38 AM, StuWard said:

Hi all

New Boatie here that bought a Savage 490 BayCruiser just before Christmas. 
We’ve had some fantastic days on Lake Illawarra so far. Great fishing with the family. 
we are really keen to take her out on the ocean, but the conditions so far this year seem to be too rough for our maiden voyage outside. 

is it normal for Wollongong to have constant swells of greater than 1.5m this time of year ? If so when do they calm down ?

I think there has been 1 weekend of calmer conditions but Sod’s law I was working 😡

winter time time mate April onwards you start to get nice conditions off port catch yourself some fresh squid and head out to around 140ft.

Honestly-go and do a seamanship course at your local Coast guard-learn about weather, waves etc. Swell wont bother you at all (as long as you dont spew or you are not crossing a bar)-wind and short period waves thats another story. Plan your voyage-if a afternnoon NE is forecast-well head north in the morning-weather is weather-spend some time learning about it-the forecast is your god when you are at sea.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 8:10 PM, noelm said:

Flat as a Flounder today, there was a 4.2m tiller steer tinny out at the FAD, a couple of good Dollies caught out a bit wider.

Yeah was a bummer as we had stuff on. Went out Monday morning though. Wind was up a bit, but we caught fish. Got a bit sketchy mid afternoon, so we ducked back in the Harbour. Looking forward to better conditions. 

Could not hold the boat on anything the sounder showed 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 1