tech question on 12/24 v batterys

frankS

Hi guys, I am tossing up which electric motor to buy for my old Savage Scorpion. Pretty well decided on the Motorguide but still undecided.

I have been told by @onearmedfisherman that the 54" shaft will not be suitable for the boat, so thoughts go to a 60" shaft, very hard to get with 12 volt so thinking maybe I should go to the 24 volt 80 lb version.

Now my question is about the battery's to run it. I already have a 185 amp hour 12 volt deep cycle battery ready for the new leckie, so wondering IF I got the 24 volt motor would I have to buy another 185 amp hour battery to match the one I have, OR could I mix match and buy a 125 amp hour battery ? , ) which I can get one pretty cheap at the moment ).

Would mixing different amp hour rated battery's effect the performance in any way ? .

One thing I will admit to not being very cleaver with is electricity.

Frank

5 hours ago, frankS said:

Hi guys, I am tossing up which electric motor to buy for my old Savage Scorpion. Pretty well decided on the Motorguide but still undecided.

I have been told by @onearmedfisherman that the 54" shaft will not be suitable for the boat, so thoughts go to a 60" shaft, very hard to get with 12 volt so thinking maybe I should go to the 24 volt 80 lb version.

Now my question is about the battery's to run it. I already have a 185 amp hour 12 volt deep cycle battery ready for the new leckie, so wondering IF I got the 24 volt motor would I have to buy another 185 amp hour battery to match the one I have, OR could I mix match and buy a 125 amp hour battery ? , ) which I can get one pretty cheap at the moment ).

Would mixing different amp hour rated battery's effect the performance in any way ? .

One thing I will admit to not being very cleaver with is electricity.

Frank

Frank you can definitely get a 55lb 12v lecky with a 60" shaft. Both Motor Guide and Minn Kotor offer them and your 185ah battery will more than do the job.