Boat Retreival

Geoff

Tried some thing different on our last outing & thought others may be interested

Normally I drive on but one ramp I use on occasions drive on is not allowed so back to the conventual method , reversing the trailer into the water & some poor sole , normally me, has the task of wading out , hooking on the winch cable & maneuvering the boat into position. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

At high tide on a warm summers day this is not to uncomfortable but at the opposite end , cold day & a slippery ramp at low tide it is not a fun job , so , ,in steed of taking the trailer to the boat (so to speak) we bought the boat to the trailer.

Reversed the trailer so the back was just past the waters edge

Bought the boat to the end of the trailer , water about ankle deep

Hooked on the cable & winched until the boat was hard up against the back of the trailer

Slowly reversed the car & with a friend on the winch winding in as the boat went backwards & the trailer submerged

By the time the trailer was in it's normal "retrieval" position the boat was nearly up to the final docking position :thumbup:

Completed winching in the last half metre or so , on with the safety chain & away we went. :yahoo:

Depending on your trailer / boat set this may not work for all but perhaps worth a try

Geoff

Thats an idea worth trying as long as you have 2 people, don't think it will work to well with just 1 person

Sea Jay Correct, perhaps a half & half , ie go back about half the normal distance , hook on , line up , wind up tight , then reverse & wind the rest of the way.

This may sound too involved , perhaps it is but , on a slippery ramp at low tide could minimise the chances of slipping over.

Just a thought

Geoff

Safety Sam says, "The wincher would want to have some faith in your car driver, to not reverse back uver them and pin you on the ramp".

MH

For anyone purchasing a new trailer make sure you get the mesh walkway as it saves any problems of slippery boat ramps - it is excellent value and we would not be without it.

For anyone purchasing a new trailer make sure you get the mesh walkway as it saves any problems of slippery boat ramps - it is excellent value and we would not be without it.

your right Diane best thing I ever done when I put a walkway on my trailer never get wet feet again and easy to hook up the boat and line it up