winter off the rocks

little fisho

some small bonnies and big salmon around the stones lately, although havent had many chances to get out there thanks to big seas. got smoked by a big king spinning on 5000 gear as well... couldn't get into many luderick thanks to all the kelpies taking my weed, any tips on how to prevent this?

712226D1-EE3B-47E6-8069-D67740299FFC.jpeg

09263E4E-1E77-4158-AA86-3C8ACF839090.jpeg

• Like 5

Dude from memory (as I haven't fished off rocks for luderick for ages, having done a lot in my teens, 20s and 30s), make sure your float is balanced with enough lead so a small bite makes it disappear - the cockies are not fussy but the luderick are.

Nice bonito, back when I fished the rocks they were unheard of at this time of year.

To avoid cockys, don't fish right in close along the ledge you're standing on and/or raise your bait a little further off the bottom. Cockys don't like to travel more than a metre or two from the rock.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

To avoid cockys, don't fish right in close along the ledge you're standing on and/or raise your bait a little further off the bottom.

What GH said 👍

• Like 2

Nice report and good fish, we caught some salmon last week and bled them straight away and cooked up in pieces in flour a couple of hours later. Everyone raved about how good it was, definitely worth eating this way even though they get a bad rap in the forums.

You've also taught me that Rock Cale are called Cocky's, found some good info in this thread below, gotta love fish raider!

Hey bad luck about the Kingy, better to be smoked than nothing. 

Where were you fishing, as never caught Bonnies this time of year in Sydney.

Took my youngest out off the beach a couple weeks ago and nailed a good bag of salmon. Try them as sashimi they are great. 

Cheers R&B

50 minutes ago, Rock&Beach said:

Hey bad luck about the Kingy, better to be smoked than nothing. 

Where were you fishing, as never caught Bonnies this time of year in Sydney.

Took my youngest out off the beach a couple weeks ago and nailed a good bag of salmon. Try them as sashimi they are great. 

Cheers R&B

hey mate just up in the central coast, i hear about a few being caught around the rocks and even in the harbour, although they are very few and far between. i got this one by casting a metal vibe into the back of the wash zone

On 7/12/2021 at 9:07 PM, little fisho said:

hey mate just up in the central coast, i hear about a few being caught around the rocks and even in the harbour, although they are very few and far between. i got this one by casting a metal vibe into the back of the wash zone

Yeah good to hear. Will just keep trying off the stones for the Bonnie's.