Botany Bay

Guest Sea Jay

Guest Sea Jay

This morning i headed out with the old man to botany bay from the cooks river ramp at 6.20AM with the plan of getting some lives from molineaux point and then heading just outside the heads to troll some lures and skirts and put down a couple of lives to see if we could get some kingie action, but as we entered the bay we where meet with a stiff breeze which was kicking up some chop so we decided to change plan and stay in the bay.

If i was out with someone else we probley would have still headed outside, but my dad isn't as keen a fisherman as i myself and neither is his stomach :puke:

I had picked up some prawns,squid and beach worms just incase the conditions were not suitable, which was lucky as it turned out

So first we decided to drifts off the end of the main runway and asoon as my dads first prawn hit the bottom he was onto his first fish. In as many casts he had boated 2 small bream before i had even put a line in the water.

I have just been bitten by the SP bug so i decided that i would commit to fishing with SP's for the day, i had tryed the before but only for half hour or so, this time i was going to fish with them all day, i started with a 2" power grub and began casting and retrieving using a variety of retrieves, an hour or so went buy with my dads fish count into double figures he had boated a varity of fish, bream, flathead and whiting and me yet to get a bit and then it happened BANG and......... i miss !@#$ all this time and i miss :1wallbash::1wallbash::1wallbash:, i begin casting again with no sucess.

So i decided to put a prawn on my other rod, i cast it out and as soon as it hit the bottom BANG!! and i boated my first fish which happened to be a whiting so i thought that it might have been the SP so i changed to a 3" Bass Minnow, then on the second cast with the new lure BANG and..... again i miss, i was about to explode in rage when out of the corner of my eye i saw a group of birds dive bombing the water about 80 meters away from us so we motored over there and i began casting a metal spinner at the bust up and BANG i boated my first Taylor, after boating another 2 (Pic Below) and numerous amounts of idiots flying straight through the middle of the bust up we decided to move on.

Over we motored to ramsgate where we started drifting along off the beach, the old man throws is prawn in and as soon as i hits the bottom BANG he boats another sandy flattie so i put on a 4" Shade tail Minnow and start cast and retrieve for about half an hour for nothing, i was just about ready to go home and i was starting to pack things up so i cast the SP out and put the rod down and .... BANG the lure gets hit and i pick up the rod to late i bring the lure in and 1 of the eyes has been ripped out and the head of lure was thorn. This was the last straw for me so we headed back and arrive at the ramp at about 12.00PM

I have been bitten by the SP bug although today wasnt that great for me my dad had a good time and i really enjoy fishing with the SP's (even though i haven't got a fish in the boat yet), i did make progress with the Sp's though this was my first bite on a SP, so hopefully next time i can improve again and boat a few fish

It was a great day on the water and good to spend time with the old man

FISH COUNT

Dad - about 25 fish - Bream, flathead and whiting (Most whiting where good size)

Iain - 4 fish - 1 whiting (undersize) and 3 taylor (pic below)

Hope the report isn't to long ill try to keep it abit shorter next time.

Also below is a photo of the whiting we kept. We only kept for as we are not big fish eaters so 4 would be sufficient for us. (Also in the pic is my jinxed SP rod) The Whiting ranged from 28cm to 31cm execpt for the one which i caught, it was undersize (that would be right)

Cheers,

Iain

G"Day seajay

Mate a good report is never to long keep at the sps mate you will get there in the end. Im out tomorrow and I am bustin to get out there. Im goin on Syd Harbour with my two eldest and my Bro so it should be good. I already know it will be f *@kin hot.

Wish me luck hope to write up a great report tomorrow.

Happy :1fishing1: Russ

Guest Sea Jay

G"Day seajay

Mate a good report is never to long keep at the sps mate you will get there in the end. Im out tomorrow and I am bustin to get out there. Im goin on Syd Harbour with my two eldest and my Bro so it should be good. I already know it will be f *@kin hot.

Wish me luck hope to write up a great report tomorrow.

Happy :1fishing1: Russ

Hope to hear a good report from you tomorrow and hope you have better luck on the Sp's than i did, i dont mind though if i keep persisting i will get there, and atleast i am getting hits if i wasnt getting anything i would be disheartened.

Hope you dont get to sun burnt

Guest Sea Jay

Bad luck not getting many on the SP's but practise makes perfect, i think i need more practise too.

You still got a few fish so the day wasnt that bad, did you get the whiting on the worms??

No we got the whiting on prawns.