Drive on trailer

blahblah

Sure there is some information on here somewhere but cant come up with much.

Recently bought a used off-road trailer. I would like to make it as "drive on" friendly as possible to reduce time around the big lizards.

I'll attach some photos to see what people think and hopefully someone with some knowledge about "drive on" trailers could help

Cheers all

IMG_3979.JPG

IMG_3978 2.jpg

Edited by blahblah

Drive on doable as is.  Not much different to setup on my trailer with a 5.6m quinnie.   I managed ok with your setup but recently added another post and extended v to help direct on to the rear roller.  I often fish by myself so also added a boat catch to the front.  

I had a spring loaded set of v rollers on my previous rig and realy liked it but couldnt fit to this trailer,  however it looks like they could be fitted to yours.  Lastly make sure your rollers roll well.  I made my own stainless steel axles from rod the same diameter as roller axles and recommend this to everyone regarless of whether you drive on or winch.  Ron 

2 hours ago, campr said:

Drive on doable as is.  Not much different to setup on my trailer with a 5.6m quinnie.   I managed ok with your setup but recently added another post and extended v to help direct on to the rear roller.  I often fish by myself so also added a boat catch to the front.  

I had a spring loaded set of v rollers on my previous rig and realy liked it but couldnt fit to this trailer,  however it looks like they could be fitted to yours.  Lastly make sure your rollers roll well.  I made my own stainless steel axles from rod the same diameter as roller axles and recommend this to everyone regarless of whether you drive on or winch.  Ron 

Agree with this.That trailer is drive on already.It's up to you to get the trailer depth right,judge wind,tide,speed etc.I've drives my boat on with same trailer too.

Thanks fellas.

I thought it would be possible to drive on like this but there is still some steelwork to smash into! 

The last owner said he had the spring loaded Vs on this trailer but didn't like them because he had to move the winch post and the boat back on the trailer to stop them springing up behind the boat. He offered them to me actually and i said no due to his experience.

Edited by blahblah

Something like this would make it easier. There is a lot of metal there that could be run into.

Just a guide to get the boat in the center then some simple skids to keep it there.

Once you get used to how deep you set the trailer you will find it easy.

771784631_trailerconversion2.thumb.jpg.595b9f04d121ca0d2c2fd4649da9a0bd.jpg

162757040_trailerconversion1.thumb.JPG.459f24a80c0b0d9ffd761c44b11995fc.JPG

Note I have alloy rollers with Stainless Steel axles, like @Campr above I would recommend them highly.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, frankS said:

I notice there is space between the roller and the keel which means the skids are bearing the weight, which is a NO NO , the keel rollers should have the weight and the skids are there to stop the boat from wobbling .

Frank

Yeah thanks. I only bought it a couple of days ago and im trying to get set up right. There is 15 keel rollers so its fairly well supported. Im struggling to get it perfect but I think its is because some rollers are quiet worn, ill replace them and try again. also my keel is slightly higher through the rear 1/4 of its length.

3 hours ago, frankS said:

Something like this would make it easier. There is a lot of metal there that could be run into.

Just a guide to get the boat in the center then some simple skids to keep it there.

Once you get used to how deep you set the trailer you will find it easy.

That would be great but I need something bolt on!

Easy to make it bolt on. In my photos all the V's are bolt on and fully adjustable.

I have been modifying and building boat trailers for some 50 odd years, this is just one I happened to have photos of , modified from a rusty old wobble roller set up that had big glass boat on. Now it has my 5.3 Savage Lancer sitting on it.

Frank