Grey Nurse , Monster Jew , And Heaps Of Tailor

OWZAT

G`day Fellas ,

As You may have read prior , I have Been catching up with a very close friend from my seed sowing days , whom I had not seen for 40 Odd years .

He and his family , were holidaying in the Local caravan park , and by an incredible twist of fate , got talking to My Son ( Lifeguard ) at the Pool , and the rest as they say is history.

My Old Mate ( Charlie Tritton ) a twelve rounder at the Old Sydney Stadium , and I settled down for some serious catching up , and I had to come out of retirement Myself , because I no longer Drink ( except on Special occaisions ) and this of course had to be one.

They Joined us for Xmas Eve , and everbody had an absolutely Marvellous time .

The Clan decide to head to Manning Point two days after Xmas , and managed to catch some Nice flatties and whiting , but nothing over large.

The kids and some of the Adults had a ball , being towed all around The River on one of those big special Tyres , behind his 20 Footer , but I declined , deciding to save my strength for the Beach .

Whence came the night , The oldfellas having overstayed their time in the sun , were so badly burnt and dehydrated , we decided to seek medicinal gratification from the witch doctor at the Local Bowlo .

The Young Guns hower , hit the beach with fresh bait and a heap of worms , and the very ist cast , they were both on.

My son was Bitten off , but my old mates , son in law "Garry" , was locked onto a massive Shovel Nose shark which took all of 40 minutes to land , dehook , and release ( It was all of 6 feet long ).

A few more runs saw two more fish hooked , but for some reason the hooks kept pulling , so they called it a night.

The following night they were well up the beach , and my boy dropped a 20 pounder after a 15 minute battle , and was cursing his luck when "Garry" once again locked on!.

45 minutes later , much to everyones surprise , they beached a Grey Nurse Shark , and after cutting the line , watched it glide back into the deep.

A school of big tailor arrived by then , and the boys spent the next hour or so catching very Large Greenies , which stocked up the bait box for Hols .

The Next night , the boys had a Tooheys break , and wouldn`t you know it , somebody in the Caravan Park caught a Monster Jew in the exact same spot the boys were fishing in the Night Before.

This morning , the boys hit the beach again by 4 .AM , and got stuck into some more Huge greenies .

They Left for home this morning , and I have to say I truly enjoyed their company after all that time.

WE shall Join them for a week or so In the next School Holidays , providing I recover by that time .

My new shimano baitcaster will cop a flogging over the next week or two , But I`ll just have to wait till my bright Red Skin , turns into a nice bondi Tan before I venture out again .

Wishing All Members A Happy And Safe New Year .

Fellas , I`m so Stuffed , I know exactly just how a Xmas Turkey Feels now!.

Mick

Sounds like an awesome time was had by all Mick :yahoo: and wow the fishing was hotter than your sunburn :1yikes: Happy New Year mate !!!

Cheers Swordfisherman

The Next night , the boys had a Tooheys break , and wouldn`t you know it , somebody in the Caravan Park caught a Monster Jew in the exact same spot the boys were fishing in the Night Before.

Mick if you are talking about the fish caught by someone staying at Lanis at Old Bar then that was me !

Mick if you are talking about the fish caught by someone staying at Lanis at Old Bar then that was me !

G`day Inspin ,

Istly , I must appologise for not replying to Your other posts mate , But I was so busy , I just did not have time to catch up, and only Just read it now.

Accoding to the report I got , the fella staying in the Park caught a Large Jew , and either had it wrapped around his shoulders , or had it draped over his shoulder to carry it , but not having seen it myself , I was loathe to elaborate on "eyewitness " reports .

If that was you , then congatulations on a fine catch .

All we need now is a pic , and the story Behind the catch ( How Big , what bait ) where when and how .

I was told he used a live poddy Mullet , and that would suggest to me , that it was no fluke

Neither Lawrie or I have been doing Much Night fishing of late , Lozza`s In Flathead mode at the moment , and I`m still trying to Get My Dicky Knee to click in .

Mick

Edited by OWZAT

Sounds like an awesome time was had by all Mick :yahoo: and wow the fishing was hotter than your sunburn :1yikes: Happy New Year mate !!!

Cheers Swordfisherman

Hey Spanks ,

Manning Point is the Northern Arm of the Manning River , Old Bar , Being The Southern Arm.

The Manning Is unique in the fact that it has two entrances , one of only 4 in the world.

Mick

Thanks Mick.

My out-laws live in Wauchope, driving north we drive over several river systems and the Manning would be one of them I think. They are beautiful waterways, great to hear they are alive and well. I often wistfully imagine having the time to stop and have a fish while trying to get up north before the kids go :tease:

Now that the Pro's are banned from the rivers up there do you reckon the rivers are recovering well?

Dan

G`day Inspin ,

Istly , I must appologise for not replying to Your other posts mate , But I was so busy , I just did not have time to catch up, and only Just read it now.

Accoding to the report I got , the fella staying in the Park caught a Large Jew , and either had it wrapped around his shoulders , or had it draped over his shoulder to carry it , but not having seen it myself , I was loathe to elaborate on "eyewitness " reports .

If that was you , then congatulations on a fine catch .

All we need now is a pic , and the story Behind the catch ( How Big , what bait ) where when and how .

I was told he used a live poddy Mullet , and that would suggest to me , that it was no fluke

Neither Lawrie or I have been doing Much Night fishing of late , Lozza`s In Flathead mode at the moment , and I`m still trying to Get My Dicky Knee to click in .

Mick

G'day Mick

Okay well I'll try my best to give you a run down. Old Bar is such a great place to stay, its nice and quiet and Leanne and Fassel who run Lanis are really great people. The people in this little town are also very friendly and very welcoming. We had arrived at Old Bar on Boxing Day, I tried throwing a few shads around during the next morning for no interest, the beach was fairly rough and wild with a strong wind chop. I decided that beers with friends and people we met at the park would take priority and I would wait for the beach to calm down a touch before giving it another go. About lunch time on the day before New Years Eve we headed down to the beach for a swim and to my surprise the gutter just infront of where we were swimming held a massive population of nice sized sand mullet. It was the first time I had seen some life in the water apart form a few birds working the water behind the breakers. I quickly ran back to camp and got my flick stick and a loaf of bread and went back down to the beach and started burlying, the mullet were very finicky but I did manage to catch two and to my surprise even got a bream on unweighted bread pieces. I had them in the bucket with an aerator and took them back to camp and left them in a shady spot and we got stuck into a few mixed vodkas who my friends wife specializes in and had a great bbq to top it off.

post-672-1136249134_thumb.jpg

Just before dark the drinks started talking and I psyched myself up for a fish. I got ready and headed down to the same gutter I got the mullet. My friends kept telling me to hang on and have another drink but the sun was setting and I told them to catch up with me and to bring some more drinks down. So I headed off with only two baits and high hopes of getting my holiday jewfish.

post-672-1136249222_thumb.jpg

First bait hit the water right on dark and after a few minutes I saw it panic but no hit. I pulled it in and surprisingly it wasn’t on my two hook rig anymore, so I quickly hooked my 2nd and last mullet and sent it out. I went back to my bag to ring my friends and tell them to either bring some more bait down and hurry up with the beer or that I would be back up in a few minutes. Just as I dialled the number I looked buck at my rod tip and the glow stick on the end of my rod was parallel with the sand, I threw my phone anywhere and ran to the rod and set the hooks. I was using an alvey with a schnyder 9 wrap on 15 kilo string and the fish took me for a good old run down the right hand side of the beach towards the surf club. I gave chase down the beach for 50 metres or so and remembering the broken reef was to my right I dug my feet into the sand and started palming my drag so I could try and stop it from reefing me…all the time hoping it wasn’t a ray. After that run I felt a few headshakes and kinda convinced myself it was a jew. Here I was battling this fish all by myself and totally freaking out…It was a good 10 minutes before I had the fish just behind the breakers and I reckon another 5 minutes to finally beach it…when I ran down and gilled it I was hooting and yelling like a mad man…I think it was still the vodka talking…5 minutes later my friends showed up and they were excited as I was…I seriously thought about releasing the fish but then remembered that it was new years eve the next night and that the campers could all enjoy steaks and cutlets on me so I kept it and my friend took a few pictures. It took me a good hour and a half to clean it and cut it in pieces and hand it out to everyone. Unfortunately I didn’t get to weigh her but looking at other photos of fish I have caught she looks about 50 pounds give or take.

post-672-1136249299_thumb.jpg

post-672-1136249349_thumb.jpg

post-672-1136249435_thumb.jpg

Old Bar is a place that will stay in my memory for a long time to come and im sure I will be back.

G`day Fellas ,

Inspin , I`m sure just everybody on this site would have given anything to do what you did .

And I can assure you , that your generosity by sharing that Jew amongst the Visitors to the Park went over very well also.

There`s quite a story going about town about the Fella that Caught a big Jew and Shared it around.

And I`m sure we will see you back here some time in the future , next time , pop your head in and say g`day .

Mick

Nice T-shirt Inspin, even better fish. Love ya work.

Thanks Knapers....Gotta love Bob.

G`day Fellas ,

Inspin , I`m sure just everybody on this site would have given anything to do what you did .

And I can assure you , that your generosity by sharing that Jew amongst the Visitors to the Park went over very well also.

There`s quite a story going about town about the Fella that Caught a big Jew and Shared it around.

And I`m sure we will see you back here some time in the future , next time , pop your head in and say g`day .

Mick

Hey Mick...if it wasnt for you then i would have never known about your little touch of paradise. Next time I come up i'll pop in and say hello over a nice steak in the surf club....love that view from the balcony...the best thing about it was the Mrs loves the place as well.

cheers mate.

inspin thats an awesome story to go with an awesome fish, well done mate. I'm sure that would have made you holidays

thanks mate, it sure did...wish i was still on holidays though....work is such a bummer.