Narra Lakes

bennos

Hi all,

Finally got round to getting myself a fly rod and teaching myself how to use it. Any, have had good sucess getting a sliver biddy first try (yay) and second time out yesterday I got 5 mullet, a bream and a blackfish - pretty stoked all up.

Question - when the fish are moving off with the fly I found it very hard to strike and missed most of the time. What is the motion required for this? I cant see myself hooking a trout any time soon at this rate.

Cheers

Ben

Guest bluecod

Hi all,

Finally got round to getting myself a fly rod and teaching myself how to use it. Any, have had good sucess getting a sliver biddy first try (yay) and second time out yesterday I got 5 mullet, a bream and a blackfish - pretty stoked all up.

Question - when the fish are moving off with the fly I found it very hard to strike and missed most of the time. What is the motion required for this? I cant see myself hooking a trout any time soon at this rate.

Cheers

Ben

Sounds like you're doing OK :thumbup:

Keep the rod tip down and strike with the hand holding the line - a short sharp tug will do it - just as if you're handlining.

My boy and myself were down at the Channel yesterday evening as well and managed bream, mullet and tailor all on bread flies - the boy also got cleaned up by sea lice so if you're going to wade the lake at the moment I'd suggest a set of waders.

Good onya Bennos, sounds like you did well. That is one of my fav fishing spots, especially on fly. Just as Bluecod said, when striking just give the line a quick sharp tug when you feel its taken the fly, but you must have the line fairly straight at all times, ie little or no slack.

Hi Ben

As Ken says, the key is to keep a straight line between the rod tip and fly. It also helps keeping your rod tip down low near the water when stripping the line. With the line straight and the rod tip low you can strike by either stripping the line or just lift the rod.

Kym

Thanks guys, good advice.

I was striking with the rod and actaully launched a mullet into the property behind me, it was at this point i thought i was doing something wrong :lol:

will let you know how I go, cant wait for the horse slimeys to turn up in broken bay

Guest bluecod

I was striking with the rod and actaully launched a mullet into the property behind me, it was at this point i thought i was doing something wrong

:074::074: haven't a lot of mullet been seen imitating a flying fish :074: this also happens a lot as you pick the fly line off the water to back cast - mullet seem to have a habit of biting just at the wrong moment