How to use this lure?

HawkesburyParadise

So back 2 months ago, I was feeling a little optimistic and bought this lure from the local tackle store. 

It doesn't have any weight and does a wiggle when reeling in or flicking. 

How do you use it and for what species? Can you use a sinker on a swivel to give it depth - it sits on top of the water going maximum 10cm when reeling. 

20211230_082638.thumb.jpg.6b2c7b2f0c4564b95cd84b01f1156db1.jpg

Fat crankbaits like yours seem to work best for me when winding fairly slow and without pauses around the edges of ribbon weed( sea grass)beds, slow enough just to get the lure wobbling well. You should feel the vibrations through the rod and see the rod tip bouncing. You can always throw a few pauses in while winding if you like, as sometimes this will turn a fish that's following the lure into a biter.

Don't use a sinker and if you're having trouble casting any further than about 10 metres, your rod and line may be a bit too heavy or you need to brush up on your casting technique. @DerekD just wrote up a really good article on casting and posted it here on Raider recently and I strongly recommend you look it up. Here's the link to it 

Judging by the size of the bib on that lure, it should dive to at least a metre below the surface. If its only going 10cm, do what @motiondavesaid and keep your rod tip as close to the water as possible and see if that helps. If not and the lure seems to be laying over and tracking out to one side, you need to tune it by slightly twisting the eyelet where you attach your line. Look up how to do that on Youtube for the best advice as its easier to watch someone do it rather than try to explain it here.

Edited by Green Hornet
Link added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Fat crankbaits like yours seem to work best for me when winding fairly slow and without pauses around the edges of ribbon weed( sea grass)beds, slow enough just to get the lure wobbling well. You should feel the vibrations through the rod and see the rod tip bouncing. You can always throw a few pauses in while winding if you like, as sometimes this will turn a fish that's following the lure into a biter.

Any particular areas in Sydney where it should work well?

48 minutes ago, HawkesburyParadise said:

Any particular areas in Sydney where it should work well?

On the Parra, try hen and chicken bay or iron cove. If at bobbin head, try casting over the drop off at the flats in the creek…go for a wade.

I have that exact lure, but haven’t used it much. It dives to at least 1m. It will surely get a bream or two.

• Like 1

Forgot to add, the spots I suggested  in the Parra tend to be more fishable towards the top of the high tide (especially if you can’t cast far) and the flats at bobbin head are only accessible at low tide.

Not sure whereabouts you are based, we can probably give you better suggestions if we know that. Best not to waste valuable fishing time travelling if you can help it!

10 hours ago, HawkesburyParadise said:

It doesn't have any weight and does a wiggle when reeling in or flicking.

Based on similar sized crank baits from Atomic Hardz crank and the Jackall Chubby it will be around 3.7 to 4gm. Looking at the bib it should be going a bit more than 10cm below the surface so my question is how far above the surface are you holding the rod.

Shroom did two really good videos on using these. Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lMbiLriumw or for further viewing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxPWcAtfqNs

The other person I know that has gotten rather good at it is @Mike Sydney

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DerekD said:

Based on similar sized crank baits from Atomic Hardz crank and the Jackall Chubby it will be around 3.7 to 4gm. Looking at the bib it should be going a bit more than 10cm below the surface so my question is how far above the surface are you holding the rod.

Shroom did two really good videos on using these. Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lMbiLriumw or for further viewing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxPWcAtfqNs

The other person I know that has gotten rather good at it is @Mike Sydney

In the video it seems like Shrooms hard body hits the bottom by itself. I can 100% guarantee that's not the case with mine, it has a tiny weight. 

Having said that,  Yes I'll try lowering the rod and running it slow.

7 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Forgot to add, the spots I suggested  in the Parra tend to be more fishable towards the top of the high tide (especially if you can’t cast far) and the flats at bobbin head are only accessible at low tide.

Not sure whereabouts you are based, we can probably give you better suggestions if we know that. Best not to waste valuable fishing time travelling if you can help it!

Based in Hornsby Shire so Bobbin Head and Berowra are local. Closest Parra river is probably Putney/Meadowbank.

Hawkesbury, if you are still using just braid without a leader that would explain why that diver (crankbait) isn’t going underwater or to decent depth. Braid floats, for these types of lures you really need a mono or flouro leader to get it to sink properly. That’s almost certainly the issue. 

I’ve not seen a ‘bingo’ before but it looks great to be honest. It might be a Gladiator Bingo Mini.
Fish it with a leader in shallow water 1-3 meters deep, and it will be gobbled by bream, tailor and - if the lure is very close or on the bottom, flathead. 

They’re very easy to fish. Cast them out, tug downwards to get it to dive underwater and wind it in steadily. 

My go to action is to cast along a wall or drop off, tug down to get it to dive and then wind it back just fast enough to feel it vibrating. Mix in the occasional split-second pause to give less enthusiastic bream or flatties a chance to hit it when it’s stationary.

You can also mix up the speeds, the occasional ‘speed boost’ then a sudden pause has also yielded good results. 

Fish it as slow as you can but still wobbling/vibrating, the reason I do this is not so much for fish behavior but if I feel a bump - like a nasty snag waiting to take my lure off me - you can stop dead and the lure will float back up to the surface after a few seconds, avoiding the snag and keeping the lure. 

With these lures, fish frequently set the hook themselves. 

Green Hornets advice was great and as for YouTube videos, fellow raider Shroom has an absolute ripper and here it is: 

For locations, parks with a footpath by the waters edge are usually a really good option as there’s rock wall usually encrusted with oysters.

These are summer lures, pack them away for the winter as the fish get too lethargic to chase. 

Good lure, good luck !

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

If not and the lure seems to be laying over and tracking out to one side, you need to tune it by slightly twisting the eyelet where you attach your line. Look up how to do that on Youtube for the best advice as its easier to watch someone do it rather than try to explain it here.

@Green Hornet thanks for this! I’ve encountered this a number of times and had no idea of the cause. Champion advice over here!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HawkesburyParadise said:

Based in Hornsby Shire so Bobbin Head and Berowra are local. Closest Parra river is probably Putney/Meadowbank.

OK I wouldn't bother with the Parra then. I only suggested it because it's my local waterway.

Stay local; fishing close to home (where possible) helps to dramatically increase your fishing time. Nothing wrong with the Bobbin Head and Berowra areas. It's well established that there are quality fish in those areas. Fish those waters intensively and you'll eventually work out where and when to find the fish, as well as what they like to eat.