P66 transducer placement advise

Blade

Hi Raiders, 

I have a P66 transom mount transducer, it reads well in flat conditions up to about 20knts, but the moment there is any chop or swell at all it starts to loose bottom.

Slow speed i.e. 5kns or less then it holds perfectly. 

I have tried to lower the transducer in its current location, but I had the same result. I have also tried to smooth out the transition from the bottom of the hull to the transducer with a piece of form ply and some sika flex but it didn't make a difference.

My thinking is that when there is chop or swell the transducer lifts out of the water so it loses bottom because if it was prop wash or turbulence I would lose bottom in flat conditions too so moving it close to the keel might make a difference. 

Here are some images of the current installation and the underside of the hull. (there is a black line on the hull where I was thinking of moving it to but wanted to get some feedback on this topic before I put holes in the transom)

Thanks 

IMG20220113135933.jpg

IMG20220113140015.jpg

Looks to me to be just about right.

Run a straightedge length of board metre rule anything as long as it's straight along the bottom of the boat and extend the straightedge out till it is level with the transducer. All the books say the tranny should be level to it's length and about half the tranny above the level and half below the tranny .

Personally I load my trannys to lay a little forward facing as when the tranny is level you have already passed what you see on the screen.

Frank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1