Surface Lures are my Weakness

Ganguddy Goodoo

No I'm not spending too much at the tackle shop. I just suck at it. Not necessarily asking for help. Just stuck at home with covid. I'm a bit inspired by @DerekD helping other fish raiders with the technical aspects of their lure fishing. Maybe some of the following musings might help a few people. If you find it a load of bollocks ... sorry.

I thought the move over to fishing estuary flats with small poppers, sugapens, bent minnows etc would be straight forward. I dabble in a few styles of fishing mainly in the fresh. I've only been out with a fly rod a few times. Like a lot of novices a lot of my attention is on the casting action and getting the right sort of loop going. However the feedback I received from more experienced mates was more about what happens after your presentation hits the water. "Stay in touch with your fly. Are you in touch with your fly". Its now almost like a mantra every time I cast. Maybe that is why I find a spin outfit way easier. Once you make a cast most of the time you are in touch with your lure. You can feel the lure working and quickly learn to feel when you bump a rock, or foul with weed or get a hit. I figured surface fishing with lures would be even easier. After all not only can you feel what is going on you can see it too.

So why do I struggle? Maybe partly because there is a difference between fresh and salt. The first few time I used a lure (sp) in an estuary I struggled. In the fresh I've caught enough Golden Perch, Redfin and Trout to be confident that I knew how the different lures worked. 90% of the time I'm using SPs, blades or small diving hardbodies. Maybe some lipless crankbaits and small spinnerbaits on the yellas. A few Tassies for trout. Clearly the problem was I didn't know enough about the saltwater environment. I little bit of research into tides, the different types of structure and fish behaviour reaped dividends. Now when I hit an estuary in my Yak using my freshwater lures I feel I'm a reasonable chance of getting a feed. Not so with the surface lures.

So this was a bit of a mystery. Its quite possibly related to inadequate gross and fine motor skills. Thinking about it it might also be something to do with the way I'm working the lures. Locally I often target Golden Perch. In the river its usually about finding a bit of structure, getting the lure as close as possible and fishing slow. In the lakes most fishing is either a slow roll or small hops with lots of pauses and a few twitches. The majority of my lure fishing is passive ... most of the time I'm letting the lure do its thing. I not really working the rod much to impart action.  So maybe this is why I'm struggling with surface lures in saltwater.

The few times I've been out on the flats with a Sugapen I've lasted about 30 minutes. Getting it to dart around was inconsistent. The confidence took a beating. As soon as i tied on a lightly weighted soft plastic or really shallow diving hardbody I suddenly felt that fish curry was back on the menu. So what is the solution? Obviously more persistence. Maybe going out with someone who knows what they are doing. Also I should really pull my finger out and go down to a local freshwater lake and just play around until I can get the surface lures working the way they are meant to. I probably need a change in mindset ... not just cast and retrieve while daydreaming ... I probably need to actually concentrate on what I am doing. It is probably worthwhile getting skilled "actively" working lures as it might help me in the fresh when things are slow.

Hi Mate,

Think I might be able to help you. If you ever get down to Sydney I'd love to head out with you.

If you can't then I think a phone call might help solve some of your issues as I think I know where you might be going wrong. It is simple physics when you break it down. While the technique can be learned quickly in one session you will find you will tense up your muscles. All up it will take about 3 short sessions to get it nailed down to the point where it is not tiring out the muscles but once you have it then it it can be used for multiple lures.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD

Understand how you feel mate. 

Until recently, I was struggling too. With some advice and tuition from @DerekD, I'm feeling more confident. Still working on it though, need more time on the water.

I'd highly advise reaching out, even if just for a chat. I feel some topwater success stories coming soon 😁

It's worth having a few small poppers in the bag as well as the sugapens and the like.  

They're easier to work and easier on the wrist on a long session.  Pretty much any sub 70mm popper will work.

No need to make any huge splashes with them.  Just little pops are more than enough most of the time.

It'll only take getting a few good hits or catching a couple on surface for you to be hooked - I suggest you persist 😂

• Like 1