Purpose-built Rods

wazatherfisherman

Thanks for another great article Waza.

Last year's lockdown had me thinking rod building thoughts. I've built one before as a teenager, but just out of curiosity. These days I'm more particular about my gear, and could use the opportunity to explore a few whacky ideas I have as well as sprucing up a couple of old, but very much-loved rods, like my 1-2kg Silstar Traverse X baitcaster.

Edited by Little_Flatty

Strangely enough, rebuilding a rod is considerably harder than building new, stripping bindings without wrecking the blank, removing a reel seat can be challenging. Not too sure how people put on grips these days, but back in the old days, we used 24hr Araldite and soap and water to allow the grip to slide down the blank, water doesn't affect 24hr Araldite, and by the time it cures, the soap and water has dried out anyway.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 8:15 AM, Little_Flatty said:

Thanks for another great article Waza.

Last year's lockdown had me thinking rod building thoughts. I've built one before as a teenager, but just out of curiosity. These days I'm more particular about my gear, and could use the opportunity to explore a few whacky ideas I have as well as sprucing up a couple of old, but very much-loved rods, like my 1-2kg Silstar Traverse X baitcaster.

Hi Mike glad you enjoyed it, there are two more parts of it to come!  While on holidays and travelling through Coffs Harbour many years ago, we went to the giant tackle shop for a look and in the 'bargain bin' there was a Traverse X baitcaster with a snapped off tip (only tip itself) for the bargain price of $20! Already owning a spin version of almost the identical rod I 'had' to buy it (and a tip)- nice rods indeed

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 8:49 AM, noelm said:

Strangely enough, rebuilding a rod is considerably harder than building new, stripping bindings without wrecking the blank, removing a reel seat can be challenging. Not too sure how people put on grips these days, but back in the old days, we used 24hr Araldite and soap and water to allow the grip to slide down the blank, water doesn't affect 24hr Araldite, and by the time it cures, the soap and water has dried out anyway.

Took me 3hrs to get the guides off a rod last year because the whole blank had the coating all over the entire surface and it was genuinely like glass over the blank and bindings, plus it was graphite. Still use soap for grips (didn't have any solvent lying around to try) Have microwaved successfully also but have had a couple of epic failures with that too!

• Like 1