Help me decide, looking at three locations(land based) for a morning fish!

Bennyg78

Hi Raiders, 

I have a late start tomorrow morning so looking to get a morning fish session in.

I’ll be looking to target the bream, whiting on topwater lures with the option of hitting some flattties with blades & double clutches.

I’m deciding between three locations I really haven’t fished before (try something new) the places I’m looking at are;

- Narrabeen lagoon

- Rose bay

-dolls point.

Cast your vote and help me decide on where to go, ps any information you can spill on either of these spots will also help.

• Like 1

They’re all good spots for your target species Benny. I’d imagine the lagoon is still very dirty, I would go for Dolls Point simply because it’s very exposed to the wind and there’s none tomorrow morning. A lot of times I’d like to fish there but the wind prevents it. Take the opportunity while it’s there.

Big deep gutter right outside the sailing club on the south side. Hit the left corner where it’s deepest with your vibes and do your topwater on the shallower flats on the right side nearer the road. You’ll see a clear drain feeding the flats which you can target. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mike Sydney said:

You have an ecogear ZX? Recommend giving that a good workout tomorrow if so as it’s great on all three species and there’s no snagging at Dolls Point, so you can cast that and your double clutch fearlessly! 

Yeah mate I have a few different sizes of the zx I’ll be sure to give them a crack

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Sydney said:

I knew you would…you can always tell one of “@DerekD’s Angels” by their tackle box! 😂 (fellow angel here…)

Plus the style of retrieving and quite often the rod set up. If it works.....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mike Sydney said:

I knew you would…you can always tell one of “@DerekD’s Angels” by their tackle box! 😂 (fellow angel here…)

And he takes ‘no responsibility’ for future tackle purchases 🤣

Best of luck @Bennyg78. I’ve been down to the sailing club once and had fun there. Think it’d be a good family spot too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Renegade460 said:

Narrabeen Lake is  murky as but is still fishing pretty well for bream and flathead. The trick at the moment is to fish the incoming tide where the fresh and murky water meet.

Curious as to whereabouts in the lake is this point? Is it past the bridge? Or does it move around a bit?

I love fishing the lake, but it's a bit of a trek for me. The water will probably be clear by the next time I get to fish there, but it's interesting all the same.

It was interesting at Pittwater this weekend. The upper reaches were brown, but clear-ish. The lower reaches, near Palm Beach, were chocolate brown. I'm guessing this was because the lower reaches were nearer to the main part of the Hawkesbury.

43 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Curious as to whereabouts in the lake is this point? Is it past the bridge? Or does it move around a bit?

I love fishing the lake, but it's a bit of a trek for me. The water will probably be clear by the next time I get to fish there, but it's interesting all the same.

It was interesting at Pittwater this weekend. The upper reaches were brown, but clear-ish. The lower reaches, near Palm Beach, were chocolate brown. I'm guessing this was because the lower reaches were nearer to the main part of the Hawkesbury.

Depends on the height of the high tide, keep in mind the tide doesn't generally start to run into the lake until around 1 1/2 to 2 hours after low tide. At the moment it seems to be just on the western side of the Ocean St bridge. With no real rain in the forecast it will take a week or so to clear up at the back end.

• Thanks 2

Hi all,

Thanks for your advice @Mike Sydney. I had a crack at dolls point this morning. 

The water was pretty dirty and a couple of local fishos said it was a slow morning and all they were catching were rays.

I tried top water but nothing was hitting (maybe its the end of the beloved season). I then switched up to the trusty ecogear ZX 40 cast out and got hit on the fall, winding in a nice little trevally. Two casts later I got bit off by Mr. Flatty and bye bye ZX40

I then switched up to my 3-6 kg outfit and cast out a heavier ZX and it gets hit on the retrieve bringing in a nice looking flounder. I decide to rig up a vibelicious and cast it out and it gets hit hard by what I would presume by a flatty and the drag is peeling off as I bring him in he snaps my leader, and bye bye Vibelicious.

Not the most successful day but I can see the appeal of the area with the flats and the big drop off at your feet. I will be upping my leader rating on the 3-6 kg moving forward

Not the best photos i got.

trev.jpg

flound.jpg

Edited by Bennyg78
forgot to add photos
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...