Bloody Wiring

kikila

I must admit that when it comes to fixing things electrical I’m some what challenged’ in other words bloody useless :( . The problem I’m having is that some times the nav lights, anchor light & bilge pump work, some times they don’t & at the moment they don’t!!!!!!! :wacko: I’ve looked for loose wires, nicks or breaks in the wiring & nada. Anyone got an ideas on what’s going on if you do please let me know. :1crybaby:

To start if you have lost all 3 items at once then it wouldn't be a individual switch or item

It would have to be the main feed either from the battery or fuse box

The easiest way to check would be to buy a test light looks like a screwdriver with a globe inside or use a multi meter and check away from the main feed for 12volts

Until you find you end up with dead wiring my gut feel says you have a dirty or gritty coroded fuse or link Or get a auto elctrician on the :beersmile:

i had very similar problems, when i put my multi meter over the wireing it turned out to be the switches contacts were coroded. (5 out of 6 went within a fortnight)

after the same problem happened with two different switch panels i pulled all the switches out and pulled them apart, cleaned off the corosion and flooded the switch boxes with lanox before putting it all back together. all better now

it doesnt take much for them to lose enough current to start playing up but with a multi meter and a bit of time it's reasonably easy to pinpoint the problem.

if you want a hand to try to fix it let me know and we'll see what we can do.

A thing that not everyone checks is the earth, incuding the battery terminals.

If you boat is ally dont use the boat as an earth but run twin core wire (should be tinned) to each of the access.

Also solder the joins instead of crimping them.

Also if you have fuses (which you should have) check there hasnt been moisture around there and the terminals arent corroded

Hope this helps

Patrick

To start if you have lost all 3 items at once then it wouldn't be a individual switch or item

It would have to be the main feed either from the battery or fuse box

The easiest way to check would be to buy a test light looks like a screwdriver with a globe inside or use a multi meter and check away from the main feed for 12volts

Until you find you end up with dead wiring my gut feel says you have a dirty or gritty coroded fuse or link Or get a auto elctrician on the :beersmile:

Thanks Brian i'll keep that in mind :thumbup:

I had a similar problem and found that when who ever installed the original cabling they did not use the correct cable and it was corroded from battery terminal back. I got my hands on some Tinned Copper wire and changed every bit of cable I could find and have not had a problem since.

Pete