Where to catch Rock Ling Landbased

Elly33

5 minutes ago, noelm said:

Just did a bit of investigating, it seems in Victoria, the deep sea ling is called "rock ling" when sold in markets and restaurants, however it is NOT the same fish you are expecting to catch from the shore, the true Rock Ling is almost plain brown and has little to no markings, and only grow to about 30cm long.  the deep sea ling is much bigger and usually almost orange in colour with prominent markings.

Yes I understand that, however if I got onto a very long at least 1m eel like fish at Princes Pier, what could that be, just an eel?

Yep, I would think so, but without pictures it's only a wild guess, anything's possible, especially since I don't live there, but have fished for a very long time, and caught dozens of those horrible brown "Rock Ling" and also fished in over 500m of water and caught "Pink Ling" two very different fish.

This is the common Ling (which is actually not a Ling at all 

edit......when caught they look like an Eel with their fin folded flat.

name  Pseudophycis barbata

854F096A-3D0D-41C8-8F14-FB005B9A3ABB.jpeg

Edited by noelm

21 minutes ago, noelm said:

This is the common Ling (which is actually not a Ling at all 

edit......when caught they look like an Eel with their fin folded flat.

name  Pseudophycis barbata

854F096A-3D0D-41C8-8F14-FB005B9A3ABB.jpeg

However it grows maximum 30cm right?

18 hours ago, frankS said:

ELLY Curiosity got the better of me so I looked the spot up on Google Maps and it tells me it could possibly be a Marine sanctuary zone  so before going there you should look into it so you don't break any local restrictions.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I tried to ring my mate to verify but he is not answering his phone.

Frank

Hi Frank, any response from your friend?  I think I will try bottom water fishing with my standard rig at Beaumaris Pier which is safe and close to the Marine Sanctuary.  Please let me know if you discover more places

16 minutes ago, Elly33 said:

Look what I found online, seems like Port Melbourne is the spot!

488D8B9F-199E-4EF9-BBE4-8A66FA140197.png

That's one piece of the puzzle solved! Don't under-estimate the power of the internet and a bit of research! It can be tremendously satisfying researching a new species and then finding them.

Hopefully we see a report covering your success soon.

• Like 1