How To Put Line On New Reel?

inked

I got a new overhead rod and reel, but have no idea how to put the line on the reel?

any tips?

Hi mate , you will need a friend or maybe a relo to help you do this . First get your chosen spool of line and immerse it in fresh warm water for around 15 minutes ,to make it easier to wind on from friction .Now with an overhead configuration you will need to spool the line on exactly the same way as your reel is (the spool of line should be vertical and not horizontal with the line coming from the top not the bottom )place a pen or something similar through the hole on the spool and get your helper to hold both sides of the pen with clenched fists to apply some pressure to wind the line under a little tension so it does not spring off on you the first time you cast !!! .When winding the line on do it slowly and evenly whilst guiding the line back and forth with your finger if it does not have a pawl to do it for you till the spool is around 1/8th of an inch from the lip of the spool ,do not overfill it !!!

Cheers Swordfisherman

G`day Fellas ,

You can buy gadgets to help you put line on a new reel , But I made My own .

Behold the best Gadget I`ve ever had to put line on .

An Old unloved golf buggy , wif de wheels ripped off , and turned inside out .

The brake shoes are used Mouse pads , if you want greater pressure , add another pad .

Patent pending.

The plastic bottle is also the best gadget you can ever have to catch poddies, but thats another story.

Mick

G`day Fellas ,

Martin , the best thing about it is , you can adjust the tension to whatever you want .

When loading 30 Lb Mono or 50 Lb braid I generaly rig the reel under a short rod and after adjusting the tension required , just grit my teeth , and wind like buggery .

Mick

thanks sharky

today turned out a pearler, what a suprise.

i dropped in at a shop Fishing and a bloke there offered to help me out. Thanks heaps to George S for pointing me in the right direction ( again).

thanks again for the offer sharky