Me into the Lure fishing

BabySnapperKiller

TLDR: big kudos to @DerekD for his generous Lure101 lesson!

Context: I came across Fishraider forum, posted my first ask-for-help topic as I am new to fishing. Great conversations in the chats and lots of helpful advices. Then Derek is very kind to meet and show me about lure fishing. And we met, which is today!

Arrived at the spot in the early morning, brief intro, we jumped staright into the topic. Starting with my ugly casting using my 9ft "beginner" gear recommended by my experienced friend (who also came today as well), trying my best to cast as far as I can with 30lb braid. 

We all know how import casting it is, and we spent decent amount of time on that. Derek pointed out the uncomfortable things I have, showing us how, explaining to us why, demonstrating to us that we can. A few hours later, I was very confident of casting.

Then Derek, showed us different outfits, from the lighter, to the heavier ones, the difference among them, when we used them and why we used them. Different lures (I can tell from those lures by their looks and pictured how many fish they have lured), and most importantly, the techniques of lure fishing.

It is indeed, has to be in-person, when you can see it, feel it and practice with it, then you reliaze, withthin these few hours, you have gained so much experience that Derek has been through thourghout his journey. 

Really appreciate that! Such a beautiful day!

I am now browersing tackle shops and can't wait to gear up and have another one with Derek.

• Like 14

@Mr.Wang, good on you to take up @DerekD on his offer! Your experience has been common for new Sydney-based Raiders in recent years. Some have gone on to become quite successful in their own right. You'll no doubt follow in their footsteps.

There is a lot to learn, sometimes it will take a few sessions - along with practicing on your own (very important) - to get the hang of things. However, remember that the journey itself is fun - I've been fishing for 36 years (Luring seriously for the past 16-17 years) and I'm still learning. Most lately I've taken up saltwater fly fishing, again with Derek's help. When you start catching a few fish, it will be all the more satisfying that you've overcome the challenges along the way.

Moderately high levels of success are eminently achievable if you master a few basic skills and gain an elementary understanding of the aquatic environment and how fish interact with it. By 'moderately high' levels of success, I mean that you can reasonably expect to catch a string of legal fish more often than not!

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to watching you get more gear and start applying your newfound skills!

• Like 5

Hi @Mr.Wang

It was a pleasure to meet you and Ryan yesterday.

There was a lot of information to get through so hopefully your brain hasn't exploded from overload.

I was really impressed at your growth throughout the session. A lot of it was due to the fact you were engaged and asking questions and trying things. I can show you the door but it is up to you where you end up. Looking at what you picked up yesterday on improving casting and working the topwater lures I think you will go a long way.

Once you get more appropriate gear for what we are doing then we will look at soft plastics, squid jigs, slices and vibes. These are better for success all year round but the topwater stuff is fun and we are just entering the topwater season (say December to March or even April).

Regards,

Derek

PS. thanks for bringing along some snacks.

PPS. I found out later that some of the wind gusts in Pittwater were up to 50 knots so we did well casting in yesterday's winds.

• Like 4

BTW - if you get around to buying a 2-4kg outfit note that a 150m spool of say 4lb or skinny 6lb braid will not fill the reel properly.

We use what is called backing to pack the spool up so the braid ends up being 1-2mm below in the inner lip of the spool.

Most shops will have experience doing so. The talent is in doing it close to perfectly.

When I have time I put the braid on first and then the backing and then strip the whole lot off and then reverse it. Takes time to do it the first time but then all I have to do in the future is strip the braid off and replace it with the same again.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

@Mr.Wang, good on you to take up @DerekD on his offer! Your experience has been common for new Sydney-based Raiders in recent years. Some have gone on to become quite successful in their own right. You'll no doubt follow in their footsteps.

There is a lot to learn, sometimes it will take a few sessions - along with practicing on your own (very important) - to get the hang of things. However, remember that the journey itself is fun - I've been fishing for 36 years (Luring seriously for the past 16-17 years) and I'm still learning. Most lately I've taken up saltwater fly fishing, again with Derek's help. When you start catching a few fish, it will be all the more satisfying that you've overcome the challenges along the way.

Moderately high levels of success are eminently achievable if you master a few basic skills and gain an elementary understanding of the aquatic environment and how fish interact with it. By 'moderately high' levels of success, I mean that you can reasonably expect to catch a string of legal fish more often than not!

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to watching you get more gear and start applying your newfound skills!

120% agree. I just opened a journey that will continuously lighten me in the next decades. We didn't get any fish on Sunday but it was so much fun! The more then I learn about how to tackle different fish, the moment when I succeed, the reward is magnificent.

Never heard of fly fishing in saltwater though, I watched videos about fly fishing and it is so cool!

12 hours ago, DerekD said:

BTW - if you get around to buying a 2-4kg outfit note that a 150m spool of say 4lb or skinny 6lb braid will not fill the reel properly.

We use what is called backing to pack the spool up so the braid ends up being 1-2mm below in the inner lip of the spool.

Most shops will have experience doing so. The talent is in doing it close to perfectly.

When I have time I put the braid on first and then the backing and then strip the whole lot off and then reverse it. Takes time to do it the first time but then all I have to do in the future is strip the braid off and replace it with the same again.

Really appreciate your time on Sunday. 
And yes, the plan is to grab the 3-10lb with 4lb braid. 

Will search spool backing on this and check with the guy in the tackle shop. Thanks for the tips!

• Like 1