How do I fish with the surf candy or other salt water flies?

FrigateMack

I read somewhere that these are great for some of the pelagics. But I don't know anything about fly fishing. Does something like the surf candy only really work with some sort of fly fishing setup or is there a way to rig them up with a normal spinning setup? I'm interested in both land based / rocks and boat fishing scenarios.

(Target locations: Northern Beaches rocks land based. Boat: Pittwater, Sydney Harbour. Desired species - the usual suspects - kings, salmon, tailor, bonito, etc.)

Edited by FrigateMack

You could tie a surf candy on a short dropper rig (paternoster) and use a heavier metal lure on the bottom instead of a sinker.

I used to fish a similar rig off the rocks using smaller flies known as eyes. Early in the season when the frigates first showed up and we’re fixated on tiny baitfish, this was the only way we could hook them.

• Like 3

Put on a Halco twisty and preferably with a single hook and then tie a line to the hook (say 30 to 40cm) and tie the fly on the other end.

Go small (say 10gram) if you can on the twisty and then it gives you two chances to hook up.

It can work really well early season as the pelagics are feeding on the small eyes (believe they are super small anchovy) and pretty fixated on them too. As the months go these baitfish will get bigger and bigger and by the time we get to February they will be in the 5cm - 10cm range. They are silverish with a slightly see through belly which is why the halcos do really well as the season progresses.

Don't cast into the middle of the school though because the predatory fish will struggle to make the distinction between your lure and every other bait fish in there.

Either fish the edges of the feeding zone or let it drop underneath the baitball before retrieving.

Due to the size of the flies used, historically the fly fishing people would do far better on these feeding schools than the people trolling or throwing big lumps of metal around. You might sometimes get lucky but generally the flies (eye fly or candy fly) put down at the right spot would get slammed.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Derek, this is a killer. High quality advice! I made the rig you suggested and headed out with it this morning. A small metal lure with about 40cm of fluoro and a surf candy at the end. I run across a school of salmon in front of Middle Head this morning. Instant hookup!! These are "just" salmon, but the fun factor is there. After I had a few salmon on board, I tried other setups - a 40gm halco and also a 40g halco with the candy, as a sort of science experiment. The only rig that worked was the small metal with the candy following it. Looking at the salmon stomach contents once I got home explained everything - it's all the little "eye" bait, not too different from the candy lure.

I'll definitely try this on other pelagics when they turn up.

I only got into fishing a couple of years ago, when I moved to Sydney, and one thing I love about it is the learning process.

Edited by FrigateMack
  • Like 9

22 hours ago, FrigateMack said:

I'll definitely try this on other pelagics when they turn up.

Hi @FrigateMack glad to hear it worked for you.

if you are fortunate enough to catch another one and see the stomach contents can you please get a photo of the baitfish to show others. I keep meaning to but when I've had the opportunity I haven't had the right camera with me to do the photo justice.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2