What Should I Get For The Next Boat?

novice

Happy new year everyone, hope you all had a great x-mas and the best start for the year new.

I have been looking at getting a new family/fishing boat for the last 6 months (after the boat show), and i'm having troubles narrowing the search down.

I am looking for a f/g hull (ride quality and stability for the kids), and keep tossing up between the Signature 542F, stejcraft Islander fisherman or day cruiser, and the seafarer viking (5.5).

Value for money, i can't go past the stejcraft. It has all the gadgets, size, power options etc., but i've heard mixed reports about them. Has anyone here had any experience with the newer built boats (i have been led to believe that the previous owner sold up and it's now under new management???)

I remember reading somewhere here, that someone bought one and had no end of troubles with it....but was that a one off ????

I am looking for a 5.5-6.0 ??? boat (new or like new) and don't want to go over $50K for a complete package. any suggestions ???? With the number of new boat builders competeing today, it too hard to choose and feel safe with the whole family.....

:beersmile: Taps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Novice, I have for sale a used (53hours) Stejcraft Islander Fisherman that is fully optioned and in all round excellent condition. It was first sold at the Sydney Boat Show in 2004. If you are still looking for this type of rig it would be worth a call and a test run if that suits you. Phone number is 02 95246488.

Cheers,

Eric @ yabbie marine

It's horses for courses don't mean to bag the Stejcraft but I would pick the Viking anyday but I know it is dearer. Have you considered a Allison, a mate of mine has the Fisherman 189 and it is a great boat and are priced better than the Viking. He was in the same dilema and picked the Allison and is extremely happy.

http://www.allisonboats.com.au/

What about the 6mt MAC cuddy cabin $32,999, certainly caught my eye?

http://www.macboats.com.au/

Edited by spic

It's horses for courses don't mean to bag the Stejcraft but I would pick the Viking anyday but I know it is dearer. Have you considered a Allison, a mate of mine has the Fisherman 189 and it is a great boat and are priced better than the Viking. He was in the same dilema and picked the Allison and is extremely happy.

http://www.allisonboats.com.au/

What about the 6mt MAC cuddy cabin $32,999, certainly caught my eye?

http://www.macboats.com.au/

Thanks Spic, I've never heard of the MAC boats. Seems alright. may have to check them out.

Oh, and the Viking vs. Stejcraft thing, me too.....but it all comes down to $$$ in the end. No matter how hard I try, i can't get past the value for money with the Stejcraft.

I can't see myself going outside.....too chicken for that.... so i'm thinking for an estuary bound vessel, the stej would suffice :unsure:

Edited by novice

• 1 month later...

Hey Novice, I have for sale a used (53hours) Stejcraft Islander Fisherman that is fully optioned and in all round excellent condition. It was first sold at the Sydney Boat Show in 2004. If you are still looking for this type of rig it would be worth a call and a test run if that suits you. Phone number is 02 95246488.

Cheers,

Eric @ yabbie marine

Thanks Eric, it's been a while since i've checked in, apologies for that.

At this stage i was planning on waiting until the boat show in august (or is it july??), that way i could save a little more and research properly etc.

I took the :wife: to see one at macarthur marine and i've got the thumbs up to get one, but not sure exactly when. Do you still have the boat there ???