Culburra

Tim Gleeson

OK, the Shoalhaven has been fishing OK for Flathead too, I have just heard "whispers" about the Prawns, but, I have Prawned there lots of times and always got at least a feed. Culburra beach has beach worms if you are OK at catching them.

Good advice from noelm. Lake Wollumboola is open at the moment, so there should be a few prawns around.

Another spot that produces good flathead is the large sand flat just upstream from the Crookhaven Heads boat ramp. Wade out and fish the drop off at low tide with lures or yabbies that you can pump on the same flat.

If you’re a rock fisherman there’s always drummer and groper in the washes at Penguin and Crookhaven Heads. 

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Tim Gleeson said:

Thanks again, I have never caught beach worms before but I will give it a shot, I seen that they sell them in Culburra if I do no good at catching them lol 😆 

If you have never caught them before, buy some......but, give it a go, it's good fun, but frustrating as hell!

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Good advice from noelm. Lake Wollumboola is open at the moment, so there should be a few prawns around.

Another spot that produces good flathead is the large sand flat just upstream from the Crookhaven Heads boat ramp. Wade out and fish the drop off at low tide with lures or yabbies that you can pump on the same flat.

If you’re a rock fisherman there’s always drummer and groper in the washes at Penguin and Crookhaven Heads. 

Thanks for the tips mate, I will give it a go. When fishing crookhaven sand flats is that between the ocean inlet and the boat ramp 

cheer

50 minutes ago, Tim Gleeson said:

Thanks for the tips mate, I will give it a go. When fishing crookhaven sand flats is that between the ocean inlet and the boat ramp 

cheer

No, it’s immediately west of the boat ramp and stretches about 800m or so towards Greenwell Point. Take a look on google earth or six maps and you’ll see it.

• Like 2

We used to get Cockles there a few years ago, best guess is they would still be there? Caught lots of big Whiting there too, pump the Nippers at low tide, then fish the flats with them as the tide rises, it can get pretty muddy and there's Oysters around, so be careful walking around there

• Thanks 1

I should add, if you’re going to wade the sand flat mentioned, wear some sort of footwear. Although not a lot, there are small stingrays around and it might pay to carry a short handled, landing net. Not only will it make handling flathead easier, but there’s a weed bed down the west end where you’ll often encounter blue swimmer crabs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1