Gone Fishing Initiative - recap

DerekD

Hi All,

This isn't really a fishing report as such but it is a report related to rock fishing - an initiative put together by Surf Life Saving, the DPI and other groups.

It was held at Little Bay easily over 100 attendees and families. We were split into four groups (A, B, C & D) and there were four presentation halls through which we rotated.

In one of the presentations Hadi from Team Kingies presented information about actually rock fishing, the gear they bring, the outfits they use and practical safety.

The next presentation involved discussing life jackets, types, issues, under what conditions they would be used. They also demonstrated a self inflating one.

Third presentation for us was by the DPI and went into further information on rock fishing safety and preparation.

The fourth presentation was related to life saving and the challenges involved in rescuing people, especially in fishing related incidents. They also discussed reading the weather reports and what to look for before heading out.

The four topics combined well into a overall introduction as to the hazards and controls when rock fishing.

Lunch (pizzas) was provided.

We then went with the life savers down to Little bay to discuss practical water safety (emergency calls, looking at water conditions, etc.). They also demonstrated a couple of emergency rescues - one assuming an unconscious person and the related difficulties and the other with a conscious person.

Final stop was the fitting of the free issue life jackets.

While not an expert at rock fishing I consider myself capable and safety aware. There were still some excellent learnings to be had by me.

If you get the chance please consider booking yourself in for one of the coming ones.

Could save your life or that of someone close to you.

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Snapped Hook said:

Maybe even bring in a law that lifejackets are compulsory for those that don’t swim between the flags.

That would sometimes be me when I'm trying to get some exercise swimming in the surf. Trying that with a life jacket would certainly get the heart rate up but I'd lose any fluidity through the water that I still have. :mfr_lol: