Shimano Nasci 3000hg

Airies

Hi ,

purchased this reel Shimano Nasci 3000 hg and it was spooled with nylon fishing line. I want to load it up with braid and assumed it was braidfriendly. I’ve seen on the web that the spool is not braid friendly. I was hoping to strip half the spool of nylon and spool the remainder with 8 to 10 lb braid. On the spool it stated the line capacity, with no mention of braid. Hoping someone can guide me

cheers Len

Edited by Airies
Didn’t include reel

I'm surprised at that. They should be braid friendly, especially these days with more and more people using braid. Simple thing is if it is an aluminium or alloy spool it should be be braid friendly. Braid would crush the old plastic spools.

On a side note I have the Nasci 1000 and the Nasci 5000 and they are both spooled up with braid.

PS From the Shimano website they have the capacity ratings for PE/Braid on the Nasci reels:  https://fish.shimano.com/en-AU/product/reels/spinning/a075f000035yx1uqaa.html

Edited by DerekD

Thanks for the reply. I don’t think the spool is aluminium. Maybe carbon fibre . Will take it where I brought it from and see. Hopefully with a heap of fishing line backing it should be ok. Not Avanti of nylon .

Something is probably not right then. All the spools for the Nasci should be an alloy (at least all the ones I've come across). Do the spools look like the photos in the link I sent you? It might be an FB series but they were also alloy spools. I can't find anything about the FA series but the Nasci were intended to take technology from the Stradic series but at an affordable price point.

Can you please upload some photos from various angles including any writing on it. In particular the spools.

It sounds like something has been mix and matched.

Edited by DerekD

BTW if you want to spool up properly and have the time then:

• Strip all line off the spool
  • Put all braid on spool
  • Put backing over the top of the braid till it finishes 1-2mm below inner lip of spool
  • Strip everything off and then end for end the line so the backing goes on first this time
  • Ideally join the two lines with an FG knot so it sits flush. Will only notice it when you finally get close to backing.

Alternatively, take it into your local tackle shop. As they spool reels frequently they will have a pretty good feel for it.