Gary Howard surf rods

fishfry

Been reading through this forum on and off over the years, thanks for the input from everyone.

I’ve casually fished my whole life but have never given surf and rock fishing a proper crack. I’m keen to get a good surf and rock bait fishing set up and target bigger type fish like greenbacks, Jews, king, snapper but also bread and butter type fish like flatty, whiting, bream etc.

I am looking to get a Gary Howard rod with an Alvey reel set up. For those that have experience with GH rods - what’s the difference between the greenback and the surf classic? I’m leaning towards the greenback as it has a higher line rating so I can target the bigger fish if I need to but would the surf classic handle them ok as well? Or are there other rods you might recommend to suit an Alvey reel?

thanks

Edited by fishfry

The Greenback is a full fiberglass blank whereas the Surf Classic is carbon with the top meter being fiberglass and a slightly faster taper . The Surf Classic is significantly lighter in weight and if you plan to hold the rod while waiting for a bite rather than using a sand tube, you’ll find it far more comfortable to fish with.

If you’re looking for something heavier Gary also makes a Surf Classic Heavy and where the normal rod is rated 5-8kg, the heavy is 8-12kg.

I own both the 5-8kg Surf Classic plus a rod built on the same blank as the Greenback and haven’t used the latter since buying the Surf Classic due to the weight difference, though I’d say both rods are equally capable of handling larger fish.

If its any help, all 3 rods I’ve mentioned fish nicely with a 650 size reel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks mate, very helpful.

How will the surf classic medium go with loading up some 10kg line if I was targeting tailor or Jews? Line rating feels restricted with only 5-8kg. On the other hand, how does the surf classic heavy feel? Is it sensitive enough for catching bream etc 

On one I reel I have, I run 10kg over the Surf Classic and it handles it well. The main reason I see this rod rated at 5-8kg is, being fast tapered it’s light in the tip section, but trust me, it has plenty of strength down low and will pull the kinks out of 10kg no problem. I don’t really target jews these days, but have caught enough bronzies on this rod to know it’s quite capable of landing larger fish. 
A tip for fighting big fish on long rods is instead of holding the rod up high at around 80 degrees, lower it to 45 (no need to pump and wind with an Alvey).This puts the main bend lower down in the powerful lower half of the rod, making it easier to hang onto and put more hurt on the fish.
Out of the 3 rods mentioned, the Surf Classic is the most versatile and light enough in the tip for bream. I’ve even used it for whiting at times and although a lighter rod is ideal, the Surf Classic gets the job done.

• Like 1