Fuses

BaitDropper

17 minutes ago, noelm said:

A really simple one, and common scenario, you have a flat battery, you get the motor started on the other one, then switch back to charge the flat battery.

Not being argumentative for the sake of it (honest!), but in that situation , wouldn't you start with both batteries and then just let the alternator charge both?

1 hour ago, JustJames said:

This known as 'make before break' or alternator field disconnect (two different approaches).  

But I can't think of a stuation where you would actually need to use it.  It's a sort of  Pascal's Wager for boaties.

Hi James,   As I've mentioned, my engine stays on without being switched off, the whole time I'm out, Which could be for 2-3 hours or a month or so back, I was on the water for near 7 hours. The blue seas switch system, technically, means I can switch over to battery at any stage through the day without having to turn the motor off.

I like to run off both batteries at some stage during me being out and generally do it half way, as I think you mentioned yourself doing, just to get some charge into both of them. So the system itself has huge benefits, not having to kill the engine to switch to your second bank, to me, is beneficial and if you think about it, COULD save any engine restart issues. 

The fact that I can do this, without causing alternator issues, to me, is a big safety factor and one I'd rather have than a switch system without this safety feature.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustJames said:

Not being argumentative for the sake of it (honest!), but in that situation , wouldn't you start with both batteries and then just let the alternator charge both?

No, you should not (if you can avoid it) connect a dead battery to a good battery, we all do it at times, but, it’s not the optimum way to go about it.

• Like 2