Flathead rig

Bloggsy

My mate and I are always trying to out do each other coming up with different rigs and set ups. What I would like to know does any one think that they have the perfect tried and true flathead rig other than the patanoster that dosen't twist and tangle yet out performs in 30-40 metres.

Single hook, suitable sinker between two swivels, job done, works a treat, simple to re-rig. If youre just using the dodgy loops for hooks and sinker, then you are making a big mistake, it’s a sad rig at best, and tangles constantly.

Edited by noelm

• 2 weeks later...

For that depth when bait fishing(which is rare) I would usually use a 2 hook paternoster I dont get any tangle issues.

How long are you making your dropper loops??

Keep the droppers shortish & you shouldn't have any issues.

Alternatively either a running sinker rig with lumo bead between sinker to swivel with a 1mtr fluro leader or running sinker straight to hook(no swivel) again with a lumo bead between sinker & hook.

These 2 are the most basic general species rigs I can think of.

Enjoy.

5 hours ago, Sharknado said:

For that depth when bait fishing(which is rare) I would usually use a 2 hook paternoster I dont get any tangle issues.

How long are you making your dropper loops??

Keep the droppers shortish & you shouldn't have any issues.

Alternatively either a running sinker rig with lumo bead between sinker to swivel with a 1mtr fluro leader or running sinker straight to hook(no swivel) again with a lumo bead between sinker & hook.

These 2 are the most basic general species rigs I can think of.

Enjoy.

The Paternoster rig is OK, but not using simple loops, the loop rig is the lazy way and will miss out on bites consistently.