If there's an introduction section, I didn't find it.

Steve0

I'm Steve, Stephen, Stevo. Once blonde hair is now platinum. I'd rather fish alone on an empty beach than be at a party. Any party.

Fishing started not long after I could walk, pulling Redfin from an inland river and irrigation canals.  I intended by never got around to chasing Cod (one Trout cod as by-catch is my tally). A move to Sydney seemed to make me forget everything I had learned about structure but eventually it came back and Bream came my way. Around rocks, pylons, beneath wharves... I was not fussy. Tiring of those (or maybe it was during a lull), I met a Luderick fisho who description of standing in water up to the armpits with Luderick on the line enticed me onto the stones. Geared up for safety and understanding how fishing with in deeper water was only possible in specific situations, I was soon a regular coordinating my fishing with others off rocks at the Northern end of Maroubra (elsewhere occasionally).

In serious danger of my obsession losing my current wife, my fishing reduced then changed to annual trips to Bemm River. Later, these trips gave way to shiftwork days-off at LemonTree passage, chasing Whiting and Blue Swimmer crabs. Kids, changes at work and increasing responsibilities put a stop to that, as did my parents moving on resulting in the loss of or accommodation. Fishing was seriously reduced for a number of years, but I still managed to toss a bait occasionally. Eventually, we moved far South Coast. There I developed an obsession for Australian Salmon. I kept a diary. Many thousands released. Ditto Tailor. Most of the Salmon exceeded 50cm. A good number of Tailor exceeded 45cm but not a significant percentage. HINT: The big Tailor seemed to move North in front of the advancing cold current from Victoria (around June). The window of opportunity was small, but that doesn't mean I didn't catch the occasional big Tailor at other times.   When I wanted a feed of other species, there were plenty to find (Drummer, Groper, Bream, Luderick, Flathead - 92cm PB, Whiting, etc). Not to forget unwanted bait stealers and unidentified line busters that refused to turn.  

Photo of best Tailor attached.    

Not my best Luderick but a reasonable pair.

Not my best Salmon. They are rare above 60cm so I took this while waiting for the 70cm+ that didn't arrive (or probably bested me).  My best Salmon was 71-72cm on the mat. I didn't have a camera that day. A cast or two later, larger Salmon took the lure, leapt and thrashed on the surface taking out about 200M of line before it reached the very deep drain adjacent an island. The line went slack. I suspect a shark, but cannot add 'ruined my day'. That fish was the last of a very good session with a school of 50cm plus fish. In comparison, the measured fish may have gained a total of 50m line. With Salmon, you can't be concerned about losses. On some days my losses came five in a row before getting a feel how to handle them in the conditions. Usually without the lure but on some days I may lose 5+ lures. Fish, rocks, cunje, Tailor teeth, cunje, accidental bail arm closure ... You name it, I've probably done it, unless you name snagged in a tree. It's not always like that. At times I've managed to lose almost every bit of colour off a lead lure. 

The water photo contains the shadow of a school of Salmon outside the break. My lure would not reach. Dolphins drove them into the gutter.

Background done. We've been back in Sydney for almost four years and I haven't wet a line. I mourn my schools of Salmon and Tailor and the clear water. I am contemplating going back on the stones chasing Luderick on the North side or Central Coast having almost got the house into reasonable shape (I made a regrettable decision not to fish until it was done). It may be a while before I am back at it but I need to know if jacket wearing is compulsory off the stones everywhere around Sydney that I may find a fish now? 

Photo-0003 (3).jpg

2014DecLuderick.jpg

Salmon.JPG

EdenPinnaclesBeachSalmonSchoolSecondSchool.JPG

• Like 5

:1welcomeani: @Steve0!

The introduce yourself thread is here: 

No need to introduce yourself again but it’s an opportunity to read and see who is here.

I don’t rock fish but I believe the northern beaches and Randwick councils require lifejackets now. Can’t do any real harm regardless of the rules, nor can a decent application of common sense.

Sounds like a bit of fishing R&R is required! Urgently! Let us know if you need any intel on the fishing side of things and the members will be happy to oblige.

• Thanks 1