Boat Suitability on Jervis Bay

Grant94

Hi All, 

Freshwater Murray Cod fisherman here but heading to Jervis Bay area in March. I only have a 4.2 Explorer Trophy, would this be suitable in Jervis Bay given the right weather conditions or does the bay have a habit of blowing up badly? Never been or even seen the bay so any advice would be appreciated.

4.2 is fine, keep an eye out on the weather forecast.

JB is often blowing a NEasterly  (or sometimes a southerly) during these summer months and can get quite choppy by mid morning/early afternoon (you can get caught out). 

If you have the patience you can always find a relatively sheltered area/part of the bay and wait it out till the evening (where it usually settles), otherwise you will get wet on the way home :D

Case in point:

I went out yesterday (Thursday) knowing it will blow a southerly by mid afternoon.

Launched at Callala Bay (NW corner of the bay), grabbed a few sand flathead outside the heads while the wind and swell/seas were good.

As the wind started picking up, i tucked in on the northern side of Bowen Island (sheltered by island) and picked up a snapper and  some slimies for bait.

The Southerly kept picking up so i came in to Murrays beach and fished the southern headlands (scottish rocks, Cozy beach etc) for squid (where i  was relatively sheltered from the gust).

When it came time to go home i rode the southerly chop back north into Callala Bay (but lumpy but a hell of a lot better than riding into it), i could have easily stayed fishing for squid until the wind died down in the evening...