New Engine Time

jjsydney

Hi Guys

I have preliminary approval from the boss to move forward with upgrading my trusty 150hp Yammie.

I have loved this engine, quite for a 2stroke and exceptional on the troll at low rpm.

I have been looking around and pricing from some of the site sposnors and others and am at two opts, looking for some thought and wondering if anyone has one of these 2 motors ona boat so I could see how they run.

I have a heavy 5.8m haines Center Cab boat.

Opt 1: Suzuki 140hp 4 Stoke, call it 16k on the boat with a SS prop.

Opt 2: HPDI VMAX Yammie, call it 14,500 on the boat ss prop,

They both read as great engines, little concerned about dropping HP, and out of the hole performance on the 4, we have a little guy 2 at the moment but in the next 5-7yrs I imagine he will want to ski/play behind the boat as a skip bait(I did not really say that)

I have been very happy with the Yammi engine I have and am tempted to stay with a brand, but have read so much about the 4strokes and eco stuff, looking for so feed back, I believe the HPDI's r almost as good as the 4's on consumption and smoke.

Anyone have one I can look at or thought between the 2.

To move to 150hp 4 in suzuki it goes up 5k, and the yammie about 3, 15K is the ceiling I am working with and very happy there is one so not going to try and edge it around ;)

Hoping for feed back

Regards

Jon

First up i dont have a four or direct inject two stroke but have been in boats with both but in my opininion i would go DI 2stroke.

As youve said, you have a heavy boat and the fours simply cant match the grunt of a two. I had the pleasure of riding in (and briefly driving) a brand new Seafarer 6.2 with a 200 Etec on its arse and this thing was an animal. Holeshot was brilliant and throttle response was that instant youd be overboard if you werent holding on. They are quiet (not quite as quiet as a four, the Suzis in particular are virtually silent) and are just as good on fuel economy plus you get the added bonus of the 3 year non servicing with the Etec.

Having said that, Greg Joyes has ditched his Yammie HPDI and opted for twin 140 Suzukis on his new boat and he loves em so i guess its really personal preference.

You will read good reviews on both engines and it will be confusing but an Etec would be my choice.

Best of luck with whichever you choose, either option will be a big improvement :thumbup:

Gday mate,

Both motors mentioned are good so its down to personal choice. I would definately include ETEC into your research too.

Dont forget Yammie only has a TWO year warranty I think compared to ETEC'S THREE year. Im pretty sure Suzuki have a three year to but you need to check that out. That extra year is a big deal.

Like what has been mentioned for skiing the two stroke would be better.

My personal opinion is that the new EFI two strokes will soon dominate over the more complicated four strokes and are also far cheaper to service. You dont touch an ETEC for three years, it also comes standard with a stainless prop.

Sorry i cant really answer your question about a comparision but i thought id throw this in.

Hi JJ,

If I can add my 2 cents ...

I had a Yammy 4 stroke on my last boat and thought is was the bees knees.

I then got a Freedom Sport last May with an ETEC hung on the rear end, and I simply love it !

No Maintenance for 3 years, ( 300 hours ) means NO additional expenses, ( which should save you ~ $2,000 ??? )

Although I use it mostly for fishing, enjoying it's smooth response, economical, quiet and smoke free operation, I have towed a couple of mates around on the end of a bit of string. They certainly didn't complain about the hole shot as they were up in a second or two.

The kids love high the speed antics in the double donuts, even the 90 and 110 kg "kids" got a thrill !!!

The ETEC HPDI 2 stroke is definitely worth a second look, but I don't know the exact pricing, but you should be able to haggle a deal.

( The RRP for the 135 HP is about $16500 and the 150 around $17,500 )

When I got mine the agent was able to get about $1500 off, end of season etc, etc.

Good hunting,

Regards,

James

** Carpe Diem to Carpe Carpe ** :1fishing1:

Hi Jon,

To help you make your decisions on motor choice (which is never easy). Why dont you come over and go for a good run in one. I have a 140hp Suzuki fitted to a 6m Polycraft Centre Console (heavier than your Haines) that you are welcome to take on the bay for an hour or so.

No obligations of course.

Cheers....Eric @ Yabbie Marine

Hi Jon,

To help you make your decisions on motor choice (which is never easy). Why dont you come over and go for a good run in one. I have a 140hp Suzuki fitted to a 6m Polycraft Centre Console (heavier than your Haines) that you are welcome to take on the bay for an hour or so.

No obligations of course.

Cheers....Eric @ Yabbie Marine

Hi Eric

Thanks for the offer, I will take u up on it, still very unsure, such a significant investment for us, prob be othe only motor I buy new for a boat so want to make the rright choice.

Will give the shop a call and tryt o get down on a Sat would this b ok

jon