Certate 4000 On 11' Spin Stick

kevin B

Hello to all fellow anglers! First time post and need expert advice.

Ive just bought a 11' Ugly stick spin rod. Its one of the original models, so i just had to have it :thumbup: Anyway, i want to use it for spinning big salmon, tailor and kings off the rocks. My best king is 85cm so far, but that was on a 10kg overhead set up. Im so keen on the Certate 4000, but im worried it might be a fraction too small. The rod is a 5-7.5kg stick, and ill go for 7kg mono line for starters. The 4000 holds 250m of 5kg line. I can't get a hold of one without ordering, so im seeking advice. If the 4000 is too small (please let it not be :( ), whats a good alternative?

Mate the certate 4000 will be fine spool it with braid and you will get extra distance on the cast as well.

The certate 4000 is great and has a beefy 4kg of drag to boot I was going to get a 4000 for the same purpose but I cant justify the spend at the moment. I look forward to reading your reports.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I don't know if i ate something bad today and it impaired my judgement, but ive ended up ordering a 4500 Saltiga. Still feel a bit sick, actually :( Tried a reel the same size as a 4000 certate on my rod, but it just felt too small unfortunatly.

Thanks again

Edited by kevin B

• 3 weeks later...
Guest danielinbyron

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kevin B @ Jan 26 2006, 07:40 PM) 84674[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Hello to all fellow anglers! First time post and need expert advice.

Ive just bought a 11' Ugly stick spin rod. Its one of the original models, so i just had to have it :thumbup: Anyway, i want to use it for spinning big salmon, tailor and kings off the rocks. My best king is 85cm so far, but that was on a 10kg overhead set up. Im so keen on the Certate 4000, but im worried it might be a fraction too small. The rod is a 5-7.5kg stick, and ill go for 7kg mono line for starters. The 4000 holds 250m of 5kg line. I can't get a hold of one without ordering, so im seeking advice. If the 4000 is too small (please let it not be :( ), whats a good alternative?

hey mate a bit out of date...

SPARE SPOOLS .... HOW MUCH

i punish my gear cos i climb with it and fish the shale ledges in byron...i was only using alvey's to take the punishment but for kingies i been using poppers and wanted the effortless extra speed.. i boughty a shimano tss-4 for two reasons .one they're really cheap and a spare spool cost me 18 bucks. so i can change weight class or from braid to mono

they're quite robust and light.. i'm mixing up some land based game with another rig and need to catch my bait asap.. climb in with it and out with it.. and there 5.8-1 ...so in breif i can afford three spools .. at that price ...catch bait with bait jig .. turrum or trevs or tailor .. or change up to heavy braid if something big is on surface and chuck big blades and rooster poppers at it..ive been using it for three months and enjoying it.. i would be happy for over 18 months and turned into spares for another one..oh yeah the other advantage in the cheep spools =weightclass options ......is i have the option to use the same reel on different rods... friends who have penns are looking at 100 bucks or so for a spare spool..

ps jealous of the old ugly.. left one with a bloke who put it under his house ..... and moved out without it..went back to look for it a year later .... the house was gone and there was a block of flats..

Edited by danielinbyron

hi danielinbyron,

spare spools on the saltiga 4500? i think about $400 :wacko:

what you said makes perfect sense, and looking back there is no way i need such a reel as the saltiga, but its done now and it is a beautiful machine. fits the ugly stick perfect, and balances well. the certate would have been too light for sure.

regarding the old ugly you mentioned, im sure if you demolished the units and dug up the footings, you would find it under there. in perfect working order too :biggrin2:

• 3 weeks later...

If you get a reel that's undersized or spooled with too heavy line class, it will strain the reel & it won't perform properly & the reel won't last as long or perform as it should.

Since you bought one of the high-end reels, it should handle it well & the line class of the rod is close enough match for the reel.

Good hunting. :)