Rock fishing spots Wollongong harbour and Bellambi

Hello fellow fishraiders, I'm planning to go down to the south coast and have been checking out Bellambi and Wollongong harbour and wondering if the rock ledges their are any good. I know they both have break walls but most times I have been they always been crowded especially at Bellambi. 

I attached 1 photo of the ledge next to Wollongong harbour and 1 of bellambi.

Any advice would be appreciated.

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0265 (1).jpg

That spot at Wollongong will be fishing onto sand (if I understand the picture right) it looks like the south side of the lighthouse point? What do you intend to fish for? Don’t know much about Bellambi, but there does appear to be a deep looking section with some white water around.

Edited by noelm

Yep, that spot in Wollongong is the south side of the lighthouse point.

apart from avoiding snags, is it more ideal to fish onto sand? As I would be using a float rig for most of my fishing, would the rocks hold more fish due to it acting as structure or would it not make a difference whether I fished onto either surfaces?

Edited by Fishin4AUT

9 hours ago, Fishin4AUT said:

I would be going for bream, salmon, tailor, possibly drummer, basically anything that would bite

Lots of those fish require different techniques, Drummer are found in rough reef/rocks, so sand is out of the question, Tailor and Salmon tend to be in schools and can turn up anywhere, Bream on a float is possible, but it would not be my preferred method. Your best option is to choose a single species and fish accordingly, chasing “anything” will mostly see you disappointed (in my opinion) 

• Like 1

You will find Bream on sand close to rocks, use light line, smallish hooks and probably Beach Worms or maybe some strips of fish flesh. You can also fish very early morning, right in close to the rocks with a tiny or no sinker and fish in the “wash” which is where white water is covering a deeper hole, use fish flesh strips or peeled Prawns (fresh from a bait shop, not frozen servo or supermarket Prawns) this method might also include Drummer in your catch too. If fishing on sand, don’t cast out as far as you can, all you will get is small Stingrays, look for reef close in and fish around that. Remember these places are in heavily populated, easy to get to locations, so chances are they are fished regularly.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1