Lemon Tree Passage

A short report from my trip to Lemon Tree Passage. Was staying in the south part, opposite Tilligerry Creek.

Yabby holes all along the shore, but where I was they were kind of sparse. Still, pumped enough yabbies for a good session. Planned to walk along the shore, but bite was happening within seconds, so just stayed put. Had to walk quite a bit out in the water, as it's very flat and shallow. Was looking for bigger fish, so didn't bother with small hook and expected the bait to be taken off 90% of the time. Got rewarded quickly with this almost 40cm bream on 5-6th cast. 

20240420_143054.thumb.jpg.170ac60a209429f1378250ed765f9298.jpg

After that changed the hook to a smaller long shank because I'm still to catch a legal whiting (never really targeted them before). After two more smaller bream (maybe barely legal, didn't measure, let go immediately), hooked up what felt like a good-sized whiting, but turned out to be just below the limit. After yabbies ran out, switched to plastics (Berkley prawns, paddletails) to try for flathead, but after 20 minutes with no takers rain started in earnest, so I wrapped it up and headed indoors for a nice whole-cooked bream dinner. 

A word of warning: there were a few rather big (>1m) rays in the water, which spooked me quite a bit. Wouldn't want to hook one of those on light setup (or any setup for that matter), and definitely wouldn't want to step on one. 

Edited by sashkello
  • Like 11