How exactly to use crab dillies?

sashkello

Hi all!

So, I wanted to try catching some crabs without spending too much money and space in my already packed garage, and got a Wilson Crab Trap Dilly (Witches Hat) for 9.50AUD, which I thought is a steal. Shown below.

Wilson-Crab-Trap-Dilly-12ply-6-Mesh-Witches-Hat-Wilson-Crab-Lobster-Equipment-9312528627647_750x(1).webp.a00dc1f86a99767e7f56d0c35b4da00b.webp

I'm looking through youtube videos to learn how people are using those things and can't seem to find anything with this design... As far as I understand, the point is to tie up some kind of bait to the inside of the trap? Like, I'd just have some pilchards wrapped in a piece of mesh and tie that up with a string to the bottom, does that sound right? Now, there is a float on top, I suppose it is meant to keep the net upright like in the pic, and make crabs get tangled in it? Or is it supposed to lay flat and I pull it up to make the crab get stuck in the net?

Also, does it make sense to try using it from jetties? I rarely have access to a boat and thought maybe it makes sense to try it out off a pier or something... 

Sorry, lots of questions... Hope someone experienced with this kind of setup might help. 

Weve used them before, the crabs walk on top of it and once they settle in, you quickly lift the net and get get tangled, though you have to be quick. Found those drop pots to be better though they work. Found them quite ok for blues swimmers. 

Hi mate,

They are quite effective and I used to take a few out to the wharves I was fishing there for a few hours. I pulled it in once an hour to check on the bait and if it had caught anything? Technically each trap should have your details on it but since I was standing next to them (they were never left unattended) during the fishing session I figured I could talk through any questions should they arise.

First thing is that you probably want to use the witches hat trap with a bait bag of some sort to keep the bait in the center of the hoop. I used clips to start with but found that the line it was attached to would get damaged by the pickers. As SP said, the float lifts the mesh up so the whole thing looks like a witches hat. The crabs get tangled as they try and climb through the mesh.

2 hours ago, slothparade said:

Weve used them before, the crabs walk on top of it and once they settle in, you quickly lift the net and get get tangled, though you have to be quick. Found those drop pots to be better though they work. Found them quite ok for blues swimmers. 

I think you have your traps mixed up, Witches hats like the one pictured do not require a quick pull up, you take it nice and slow with them, the two ring lift nets require a quick pull in.

Tie fish frames in the middle at the bottom. We always had crossed cords with a loop and wrapped the fish frames in plastic mesh, which sped up bait swaps and made the bait last longer. 

Use plenty of rope up to your float. If short, they can float away on high tide or, depending on the balance of your float and current strength, your float may go under.

You may be really lucky and catch mud crabs, as well.

Read this web page https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-skills/responsible-fishing-guidelines/crab-traps-preventing-turtle-drownings

Don't miss the detail required on your float.

In my experience, Witches hats catch shovel nose sharks, which can do a bit of damage to your net. So can crabs.  Quick & dirty repairs will keep you going until you get replacement nets.

19 hours ago, noelm said:

I think you have your traps mixed up, Witches hats like the one pictured do not require a quick pull up, you take it nice and slow with them, the two ring lift nets require a quick pull in.

Sorry you're probably right. I thought these are the ones that have the float at the top and they sit like a tower in the water where the crabs get their legs tangled. When picked up slowly the crabs tend to get untangled while a reasonable retrieve have more chance to bring them up. Must admit, much prefer the lift up traps, I find them more effective but we tend to anchor up and have lunch while keeping an ever on it.