Dropshot rig

Hi raiders,

I'm looking to try a dropshot rig with the usual soft plastics. I like the idea of being able to have the lure off the bottom by a pre determined height.

All my online searches seem to show the technique used for bass, but not your bread and butter bream, flatty etc.

Has anyone had some success with this rig? I fish land based.Thanks!

I've tried it and got a flatty.

I think they are mostly used for vertical presentations around structure or schooled fish. In a land based context, dropshot is probably useful around wharves, deep retaining walls etc.

• Like 1

Most fishos don't understand what a true dropshot rig is and think it's just like a mini posternoster rig to keep lure or bait a set distance from the bottom or vertical jigging small SPs.   A true ds rig has the bottom of line as a straight cut off with a appropriate sized split shot squeezed on near the end.   If the shot gets caught between rocks or weed, the shot slides off the end of the line and (guess what).DROPS OFF.

Besides the usual vertical jigging, this can be used fishing any snaggy bottom.  If a larger sinker is needed put a ball on 1st held on by a splitshot on bottom.  Ron 

• Like 1