How Do I Catch Little Mullet For Flathead Fishing

inked

You can get them from the Bass Angler.....

They're called 100mm Squidgy Fish in Silver Fox colour... :074::074:

You can buy a little perspex fish trap from most places. Put bread inside and leave it in the shallows anywhere the little mullet get around.

Ebay has a few bait traps at times as well but not sure what they'd be like as I've never used them.

Cheers

You can get them from the Bass Angler.....

They're called 100mm Squidgy Fish in Silver Fox colour... :074::074:

You can buy a little perspex fish trap from most places. Put bread inside and leave it in the shallows anywhere the little mullet get around.

Ebay has a few bait traps at times as well but not sure what they'd be like as I've never used them.

Cheers

Yeah - just look around and throw some berley into the water until you see some. Shallow, sandy areas are best.

Flattieman.

Now that we know how to collect poddys...could anyone tell me how rig up live baits such as poddys or yakkas? i have no idea. :wacko:

Here you go, Davy:

If you're a beginner to flatties, find an area with a sand or mud bottom and some ribbon weed. Find a drop-off or area of deeper water in this same location. This is where you should cast the poddies. These baits should be rigged with just enough weight to get them to the bottom (a marble-sized ball sinker). Suspend this above a small swivel, then tie on a 30lb monofilament leader. Use a wide-gap hook in size 2 to 2/0 and pin the poddies from under the head (before where the gill covers meet) and bring the hook out through the poddy's "nose" - BEFORE the brain. After you've cast the poddy out, make sure you maintain constant contact with the bait via feeling the line with your finger. When you feel the flathead beginning to swim away with the bait, strike relitavely quickly and firmly. If you hook the flathead, keep your rod tip high and "Bob's your uncle". When using poddies, if you miss the flathead, commence a very slow retrieve, imparting an exaggerated "wounded baitfish" action to your bait. The flathead will bite again one, twice or more. For a rod/reel combo, choose something "General Purpose" about 6'6" or 7' (I've got a Shimano Technium Plus 7' GP) and a size 300 or 400 reel (I've got a 300 Okuma Ignite) and some 6-12lb line.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Flattieman.