Pretty quiet in middle harbour

Headed down to one of the jettys last night to try our luck with the start of school hollidays. Plenty of yakkas swimming around the jetty, and lots of tailor which were fun on super light gear.  Had one yakka on a bigger rod for over 3 hours but no bigger fish around took a liking to it. Caught a striped fish in the picture which i havent seen before so if anyone knows what it is, let me know. I put it back, but im still curios to know what it is. Have fished middle harbour for over 20 years and never caught one before. IMG_0990.png.013da425f1b5b194247fff829e9594ae.png

• Like 6

Eastern Striped Trumpeter, or just plain Trumpeter.

If you’re fishing in shallow water in an estaury around Sydney it’s probably the most abundant fish around. They are good at avoiding hooks though.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

They are good live bait for John Dory those Trumpeter

and cormorants too Waza. Remember the one that kept hassling us when we fished for John Dory?

Hope you're keeping well mate, bn

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

Never used trumpeter as live bait. Are they really that good to use? My last one was when I was jigging a plastic and jagged hooked it (my first fish on soft plastic)

Read my article on John Dory and you'll have your answer!

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

and cormorants too Waza. Remember the one that kept hassling us when we fished for John Dory?

Hope you're keeping well mate, bn

Hi Neil have had a lot of eye problems completely out of the blue, but thanks to Sydney Eye Hospital I should recover in a few months time

• Sad 1

Trumpeter are probably the most under rated livies.  They are very hardy and will stay lively for hours on a hook.  I  caught one of my two equal pb flathead at 97cm on a trumpeter.  Ron 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Neil have had a lot of eye problems completely out of the blue, but thanks to Sydney Eye Hospital I should recover in a few months time

Sorry to hear that Waza mate. I hope that you make a full recovery as soon as possible.

bn

• Thanks 1