Yabbies in the deep?

Hi All!

So, yabbies are probably my favourite bait, caught lots of fish on them on the flats. Love pumping 'em, love using 'em!

Now, I have an occasional opportunity to go out on a boat in Botany Bay and fish some holes and structure. Would it make sense to take some live yabbies with me? Will they work for kingies, snapper, bigger trevally? I know the word on the street is that your bait should match the location, but I had no problem catching some whiting and flatties on beachworms in the middle of the harbour, well away from their actual habitat. So I thought yabbies might work just as well?

Let me know if anyone does it and what you've caught on them!

Cheers,

Sasha

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sashkello said:

Hi All!

So, yabbies are probably my favourite bait, caught lots of fish on them on the flats. Love pumping 'em, love using 'em!

Except when they grab the webbing of your fingers!

7 hours ago, sashkello said:

Now, I have an occasional opportunity to go out on a boat in Botany Bay and fish some holes and structure. Would it make sense to take some live yabbies with me? Will they work for kingies, snapper, bigger trevally? I know the word on the street is that your bait should match the location, but I had no problem catching some whiting and flatties on beachworms in the middle of the harbour, well away from their actual habitat. So I thought yabbies might work just as well?

Let me know if anyone does it and what you've caught on them!

Cheers,

Sasha

Mostly use in estuaries. Species I recall: Bream (bay/estuary/rocks), Luderick (bay/estuary/rocks), Whiting (estuary), Flathead (estuary/bay), Yellow Eye Mullet (estuary near mouth), Trevally (bay/estuary), Drummer (rocks), Red Rock Cod (ocean). Not forgetting Rats, Soapies, Leatherjackets, Cobblers, Eels, Sweep, Toads, Pufferfish... I did get a good run of plate size Snapper on the ocean one day (hitting the yabby hard before it reached bottom). In other words, you can get a lot of variety on yabbies and I prefer them over other methods when hunting a feed. One thing I do not rig for when using yabbies is large fish. I was smoked by something large and very fast once. It was an exception.  

Edited by Steve0
Minor changes
  • Thanks 1