Help With My Current Rod Collection

Crazym3

Hi Fishraiders.....I'm new to all this fishing and went out and bought all up 4 rods with friends and family.....

1x 7 foot rod with 6 pound line

1x 5 foot 8 rod with 6 pound line

2x 6 foot rods with 6 pound lines

I've been to a couple of places for some fishing and have only cought some small fish from peers and tinnies.....

During Xmas break I went to Hawks nest with family and cought some small breams, small whitings and 1 35cm dusty flatty which is the biggest ever........ :1fishing1:

Just before the new yr we went to Hawsbury river on a tinnie and could only 1 flatty in about 5hrs...... :(

Everyone was using prawn as bait however I was using soft plastics and didn't catch anything since I started......

I've read alot on the site and have learnt alot on the way....... :thumbup:

last week I went to the Royal national park to do some fishing and a fish completely bit off the tail of my soft plastic......and then nothing.....and the hooks keen get cought in the rocks and oyster shells..... :ranting2:

Can someone help with the rods as what they are best used for and I woud like to try some beach fishing but I don't think my rods will do the job at the beach.....

Please help :wacko: .......group of keen fishers are struggling hehehehe

Hi matey . Why dont you tell us all exactly what type of rods and reels you have and what type of line is on them and we will help you out with your dilemma.That being the make of rod and reel by name :biggrin2:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Hi matey . Why dont you tell us all exactly what type of rods and reels you have and what type of line is on them and we will help you out with your dilemma.That being the make of rod and reel by name :biggrin2:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Hi swordfisherman,

Here are the specs of the rods, reels, and lines: -

1x Shakespear Ugly Stick - 1.8m, 60IB long cast reel, 6lb line

1x Daiwa Sweepfire 602MLS rod - 6'0", sweepfires 2500 reel, 6lb line

1x Daiwa ABS rod - 7'0", ABS 4000 reel, 6lb line

1x Daiwa ABS rod - 7'6", ABS 2500 reel, 6lb line

As you can tell these are cheap rods from Big W :biggrin2:

Hope you can help... :beersmile:

Thank you.

Hi swordfisherman,

Here are the specs of the rods, reels, and lines: -

1x Shakespear Ugly Stick - 1.8m, 60IB long cast reel, 6lb line

1x Daiwa Sweepfire 602MLS rod - 6'0", sweepfires 2500 reel, 6lb line

1x Daiwa ABS rod - 7'0", ABS 4000 reel, 6lb line

1x Daiwa ABS rod - 7'6", ABS 2500 reel, 6lb line

As you can tell these are cheap rods from Big W :biggrin2:

Hope you can help... :beersmile:

Thank you.

They are fine for bait fishing and lure tossing .The 2500 reel could be loaded with 4 or 6 lb fireline and maybe get an updated high modulous graphite rod like a shimano dropshot which are quite cheap around 120 buxs and you could certainly chuck small soft plastics with that rig .If you need further assistance call out all willing to help here . :biggrin2:

Cheers Swordfisherman

You gotta start off with cheap rods first mate, no point getting the expensive stuff until you feel comfortable with your techniques and competant in your fishing.

Im not familiar with the model of rods you got, more familiar with the Shimano range ( plus they are listed online ). Do you have a carbon graphite rod in your collection?

If you are using grubs then the rod isnt all that important, but if you are using flick bait, shads and power minnows then yeah the rod plays a big role in the presentation of your SP to the fish. If you want a cheap SP rod you can go into some tackle shop and get yourself a cheap one for around the $55, something to improve your casting and retrieval techniques.

Spool your reel with the 125 yards of pink 4lb fireline, use normal cheap mono ( maybe 6lb ) as backing before tying on the fireline. You would be very impressive to be able to cast future than 125 yards so dont worry about the cheapo mono as backing.

What SP are you using? if you are chasing " anything " then the ideal all rounder is the Berkley 3" power minnows in pearl watermelon colour on size 1 hook on 1/16th jighead. You will find that the other fishos would also recommend this. It works best under clear water conditions but I have used it in various conditions and seems to bring up the goods.

If you are chasing breams then Ive been using the grubs, pumpkin seed colour and 2" in length. Slow and pause retrievals. Size 2 hook on 1/16th weight jighead.

Try them for yourself, you will soon find out which is your favourite colours and kick yourself why you didnt use fireline in the first place ( Fireline is half the price of braid, upgrade to braid once you wanna get serious about SP ).

If you really want to learn how to SP fishing then I would highly recommend you going out back to BigW and buy the Berkley SP DVD hosted by Adam " Maddog " Royter and also pickup Squidgey Secrets 1 2 and 3 from Starlo and Bushy.

Hope that gives you some insight, its just my personal experience.

Had to edit this. Its 1/16th weight not the typo 1/6th.

Edited by SiNH

Hey Sinh,

THanks for the info.....I currently don't have any carbon graphite rod as I'm still getting the hang of all the fishing techniques and stuff....

All I know about my SP is that its by power bait and thats it......sorry I can't be of anymore assitance....htats all there is on the packet......I've got the right size hooks and jig heads but thats about all I know......

I ordered the Berkly Soft Plastics DVD and waiting for delivery...can't wait to watch it. :thumbup:

Probably in the next couple of weeks I'm going to Bathurst for some freshwater fishing to catch me some trout, trying with freshwater wet flies......hopefully I get something hehehe :1fishing1:

Yeah experience and skills.....hoping to get some of that by the end of the yr :biggrin2: