Transducers, Transom Mount Or Thru Hull

pogo

Looking at fitting a new sounder to the Pogoboat

ANy one got any opinions on the differences between transom mount and thru hull transducers.

I knoe thru hull will involve drilling a hole through the hull to fit it, I dont really have a problem with that and might even prefer it comparred to drilling and screwing into the transom wall as regards to getting rot in the transom at some point.

Im really more interested in wether you get a better result, as regards the performance of the unit with thru hull against transom, particularly on the move

Regards Pogo

Pogo Check the options recommended by the manufacture , there are some where cutting holes in the floor is not necessery. The transducer is mounted directly onto the inside of the hull.

The thought of cutting a hole in the floor then the transducer coming loose or popping out :1yikes::1yikes:

If mounted onto the transom , provided the holes / screws are sealed correctly then there should be zero issues with water entering .

Geoff

Thanks Geoff,

The transducers I am looking at are a dedicated thru hull transducer, you drill a hole thru the hull and the bronze transducer fits thru the hole from the outside and has about a two inch flange type nut that screws down and is used with the approriate sealant, dont imagine it would fall out.

really interested if you get a better signal at speed with the transducer located on the centre line of the boat about two to three feet ahead of the stern,where it would stay in "clean water" longer and at higher speeds

my current transducer is located on the transom mor than 3/4 of the way out and gets interference pretty quickly as I speed up, the boat is a tri or cathedral hull so it has to be out there or really close to the motor

I believe the thru hull transducer has far less probability of interference from such things as the outboard motor and air bubbles/wake from the stern of the boat. Additionally if you berley this can at time show up on your sounder with a transom mount.

I would expect both will give good readings.

On a thru hull you need to ensure the transducer is not mounted to the dead rise of the hull and it is on a flat plane, otherwise you will get incorrect readings. Access to your hull internally is important to mount.

For trailer boats a transom mount is best as there is less chance of damage via trailer rollers and access issues to your hull internal.

If your boat is berthed and 25 feet plus then I would go a thru hull.

I have fished both ends of the spectrum from 35 Bertram’s to 46 Crestas and 58 Precisions down to 4.75 Stejercraft.

I am looking at a new sounder myself and will go with the transom mount for the Aussie Whaler.

Hope the above is of some help in weighing up the pros and cons of the debate.

Cheers

Martin

The transducers I am looking at are a dedicated thru hull transducer, you drill a hole thru the hull and the bronze transducer fits thru the hole from the outside and has about a two inch flange type nut that screws down and is used with the approriate sealant, dont imagine it would fall out.

Would agree. should be very secure

really interested if you get a better signal at speed with the transducer located on the centre line of the boat about two to three feet ahead of the stern,where it would stay in "clean water" longer and at higher speeds

Sounds logicial. My sounder , which is nothing flash , looses it's signal over about 15 knots. Always assumed the boat was moving too fast for the signal to hit the bottom & return . Perhaps it depends on the quality of the sounder & it's strength.

my current transducer is located on the transom mor than 3/4 of the way out and gets interference pretty quickly as I speed up, the boat is a tri or cathedral hull so it has to be out there or really close to the motor

Mine is on a cat & mounted out wide

Geoff

G'day Martin,

Thanks for your reply to my post,

The new sounder and transducer are for the Pogoboat, I find that at or about planing speed the sounder gets interfence and I think it is the disturbed water from the centre hull running under the outer hull, which is where the current transducer is mounted, it actually gets a little better as you get a bit faster and then falls off completely as the boat sits up on the centre hull

The spot I was thinking of mounting the thru hull was dead center of the main hull just a couple of feet in front of the stern, If you pull out the battery box that sits in the stern you can access the bottom of the boat forward to the first cross member which is under the floor between the rear wall and the kill tank and I was thinking of mounting it there as far forward as I can get it against the cross rib and still do up the flange nut.

That should still be behind the first keel roller on my trailer, the only concern in that area I have is Family picnic days where the boat will sit stern on on the sand at the basin and the like.

Have you been getting out in yours much?

Regards POGO

I will be installing a thru hull on my boat in the same position as you are thinking pogo. Performance simply cannot be beaten and there will be no fiddling around with it later on. I am fitting an Airmar b117 with depth and temp. Its almost flush with the hull.

Hi Pogo

If you like why not have a look at my set up and go for a run and confirm a comparison on sounder performance. My sounder I feel is still giving a good reading at 4000rpm and is OK at 4500. At around 5000 I get some interference, however this I think is more so associated due to speed. I have it transom mounted

You will have the same problem with a transom mount when hard up on the beach if the stern bumps bottom as it pushes the transducer up at an angle. A simple adjustment by pushing it back in place soon fixes the problem

I was just thinking the whaler has such a smooth hull that as she cuts into the water if there are many air bubbles running under her hull.

I have not had many opportunities to get out, family duties and work. Such is life. Since I have bought it I have been fishing 3 times and had 4 family outings at Mackeral Beach.

I have booked myself in for a fish this Saturday and hope to go Marlin fishing.

Mate, I hope it all works out what ever your decision on the sounder.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you want a comparison as we have the same hull.

Cheers

Martin

Martin

Just had a look on Seabreeze,

Saturday looks like an excellent day to get out wide, hope you have a great day and cross paths with Mr stickface.

Let me know how you go, Id love to get out for a Marlin fish soon. Unfortunately cant do this Sat because of work.

I'll let you know how I go with the sounder

Regards POGO