RIP John Bethune “Mr Bass

From Starlos fb page. 
Sad to hear of the passing of Australia's original "Mr Bass": John Bethune. I was fortunate enough to wet a line on quite a few occasions with John over the years, and also to share the fishing clinic stage with him at a number of Sydney Boat Shows. And of course, like so many others, I immensely enjoyed reading his wonderful book, "Bethune On Bass". Few others have done as much as John to put Aussie bass on the map, and to promote recreational fishing in general. He was a true gentleman, much in the ilk of his good mate Dick Lewers, who we also lost a few years ago. Salt of the earth blokes like John and Dick represent a generation of pioneering angling communicators who chronicled and helped shape a revolution in sportfishing that saw truly dramatic advances in tackle and technique: from cane to carbon, bakelite to baitcasters and set lines to spinnerbaits. We owe them an enormous debt of gratitude.
I understand that John's ashes will be spread on the water at Dargle Water Ski Park on his beloved Hawkesbury River at 1.30PM next Sunday, 25 August, if any reading this would like to attend and pay their respects.
Rest in peace, old mate.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Donna. I shared a spot in a boat with John on a few occasions and always regarded him as a good mate.

He once commented on a houseboat trip Hairtail fishing " If there is a fish down there Frank will catch it " coming from him I regarded that as the greatest complement ever offered to me.

He was/is a true legend as far as Bass fishing is concerned and his book Bethune on Bass is well sort after. I am lucky enough to have such book and takes place with pride among my fishing books.

Did you know although he was the author of the book he himself did not have a copy of the book and I don't think any of the family had a copy either.

God willing I will attend the scattering of his ashes.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, frankS said:

Donna. I shared a spot in a boat with John on a few occasions and always regarded him as a good mate.

He once commented on a houseboat trip Hairtail fishing " If there is a fish down there Frank will catch it " coming from him I regarded that as the greatest complement ever offered to me.

He was/is a true legend as far as Bass fishing is concerned and his book Bethune on Bass is well sort after. I am lucky enough to have such book and takes place with pride among my fishing books.

Did you know although he was the author of the book he himself did not have a copy of the book and I don't think any of the family had a copy either.

God willing I will attend the scattering of his ashes.

Frank

Great memories. So glad you got to fish with him.