Haines hunter v133

olpol

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience with Haines hunter v133's still in the runabout configuration. Im wondering if they're big enough for 3 blokes fishing (probably standing up), as otherwise they look pretty cool. How stable are they at rest, and what sort of horsepower would they suit. Cheers

I have a V17R - it is big enough for 3 standing up. I would not want to stand up in a v133 (3.95 metres). It is too low profile. It will have a max horsepower rating on the hull - do not exceed it as you wil have insurance issues & Waterways issues.

The hulls are well known for performance whilst underway. I can attest to the rougher ride whilst at rest out at sea. I can live with that as I know the ride home is much superior.

Choose a bigger boat for 3 blokes who want to stand up. Even a V16 will be a big step up.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, noelm said:

All those old Haines were skinny and had a deep V, both traits create instability at rest, and only being 13’ will get “interesting” with three adults on one side fishing. They were a good little boat, how old is it?

It's a 1982 and has a late 2000s 40hp  mercury 2 stroke. Looks to be in reasonable condition with the original bench seats and gel coat. In an ideal world where mony and time weren't a problem, I would strip it and convert it into a little centre console. I know Haines make the seawasp which is based off the v133 and has the same reverse chine hull, but I would have a slightly different layout to what they offer. Anyhow that would be another 5 or 6 grand at least so I would need to factor that in. I saw a guy on the Gold coast who converted his to tiller steer and did some serious offshore work with his going out to islands in the Whitsundays and going through numerous bars. They seem to be capable but perhaps lacking the size I need.

Edited by olpol

Don't forget anything under 4.8 metres needs a lifejacket (just saying).

Talking to the Bois today before they went to check their crab traps about older glass boats. Discussion was about the maximum hp shown on the boats. The older boatds ie like my V17 had hp ratings pre 4 stroke motors - which are much heavier than the 2 strokes.

Wonder if the power rating needs to be adjusted for the wight & torque of the new motors??

FYI - Mid north coast mudcrabs are "empty" & fishing is slow.

Thank gawd for the Coopernook Hotel!!

Not sure about that hull but I had a Haines sea wasp for a few years which punched well above its size. I used mine as far out as the shelf on a good day but mostly for fishing Montague and snapper grounds out from Narooma bar. The boat was great in that it could be used on shallow rivers and easy to tow all around the coast. When I started scuba diving I found entry over the back could get some water entering in due to the weight of my dive buddies and all our gear, which was ok if anyone in the boat moved forward when someone tried to get in at the back. It was very impressive for a boat under 4m, same hull as the 'little ram' built by Cootcraft which push offshore well beyond the shelf down here on the south coast chasing tuna.

kj8r1606copy.jpeg.c25adfa5b0e77bde1d61c4e96d504ad4.jpeg

kj8r1564copy.jpeg.915dffcdd65661bfe49f4138c90c60bb.jpeg

Edited by JonD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2024 at 7:50 PM, Hoods said:

Don't forget anything under 4.8 metres needs a lifejacket (just saying).

Talking to the Bois today before they went to check their crab traps about older glass boats. Discussion was about the maximum hp shown on the boats. The older boatds ie like my V17 had hp ratings pre 4 stroke motors - which are much heavier than the 2 strokes.

Wonder if the power rating needs to be adjusted for the wight & torque of the new motors??

FYI - Mid north coast mudcrabs are "empty" & fishing is slow.

Thank gawd for the Coopernook Hotel!!

Lifejackets don't bother me much, a good thing to have if things go south. The other thing about older 2 strokes is HP was measured at the crank and not at the prop, so they tended to have a couple hp less than what was actually said! Great motors though..

21 hours ago, JonD said:

Not sure about that hull but I had a Haines sea wasp for a few years which punched well above its size. I used mine as far out as the shelf on a good day but mostly for fishing Montague and snapper grounds out from Narooma bar. The boat was great in that it could be used on shallow rivers and easy to tow all around the coast. When I started scuba diving I found entry over the back could get some water entering in due to the weight of my dive buddies and all our gear, which was ok if anyone in the boat moved forward when someone tried to get in at the back. It was very impressive for a boat under 4m, same hull as the 'little ram' built by Cootcraft which push offshore well beyond the shelf down here on the south coast chasing tuna.

kj8r1606copy.jpeg.c25adfa5b0e77bde1d61c4e96d504ad4.jpeg

kj8r1564copy.jpeg.915dffcdd65661bfe49f4138c90c60bb.jpeg

Cheers Jon,

Did you find the 25 to be enough power, or were you left craving for a bit more!?