Tackle Loop - old tackle recycling, don't throw it out!

Cass OzFish

I love this topic on repairing rods and reels! 

I also wanted to share that you can now recycle your old tackle with OzFish though our TackleLoop program, its as simple as dropping your old (clean-ish) tackle into a post-bag or box, addressing it with our reply paid and dropping it at your nearest Aust Post Office or Post Box.

OzFish Unlimited
TackleLoop
Reply Paid 91075
Ballina NSW 2478

Right now we're working towards our first recycled fishing-plastic product, a crab-trap float (to replace the polystyrene ones). 

More here: Tackle Loop | OzFish Unlimited

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cass OzFish said:

Right now we're working towards our first recycled fishing-plastic product, a crab-trap float (to replace the polystyrene ones). 

More here: Tackle Loop | OzFish Unlimited

A crab trap float sounds interesting! Would they end up being sold for a similar price to the current poly floats?

Also, the link you attached said you will recycle old sinkers....what would you do with them? melt them and make new ones? Just curious.

Sounds like a good initiative though.

@Peter KH Hi, thanks for coming back to me, great questions.

All of the metal parts (including lead) of rec fishing gear that comes back to us goes into metal recycling - this is usually past of local council's metal recycling. We're actually trying to find a supplier of ceramic sinkers in Australia as an alternative to lead, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be much of an alternative to lead sinkers. 

As for the float, yes it will be the same price point so its really easy to switch, but we're still finalising the details. More to come, my hope is they'll be available to purchase by 2025.

• Like 1

Interesting, ive never heard of ceramic sinkers, i'll have to do some research!

2025 that's only a few months away! Assuming they will be in the big retailers first, cant wait to see them on the shelves! Also, I'm sure you have already, but have you considered the UV cracking/breaking down the float?

• Like 1