2 Die At Avoca

Grantm

I heard on the news this afternoon the two fishermen died while rock fishing at Avoca today.

Apperently a freak wave swept one of them in and his mate went in to save him, witnesses called for help and when the surf patrol arrived on jetski the two men were found dead.

An absolute tragedy ! My heart goes out to their family and friends.

Although it makes no difference really, I certainly hope they were not Fishraiders, Sydney Anglers or Sydney Fish Finders. Although there has been some friction on the forums and even for rec fisho's who arent on them, we are ALL part of the same rec fishing family and its truly devastating to loose two of our fellow fisho's under such tragic circumstances.

If nothing else we must learn from this and take extra care when fishing the rocks, and to remember how dangerous our pastime is when heading out to sea in our boats. Remember what we can potentialy leave behind and respect that.

Good fishing to both fisho's lost today in the biggest sea of all.

Take care Fishraiders.

Edited by Grantm

well said, an absolute tradgedy to lose your life whilst doing the best thing of all :(

although i never fish the rocks myself i feel it should be mandatory to wear a lifejacket at all times off the stones, may well have saved their lives...

Very very sad news for the families left behind. I have sadly lost three friends to power of the sea and have seen some freaky things in my days of LBG. You can have all the lifejackets in the world but only one thing will save you and that is common sense. Sad news.

When fishing the stones 3 rules a paramount

1/ never fish the rocks alone

2/ check conditions where you want to fish for at least ½ hour before fishing if still in doubt DON’T FISH THERE go elsewhere

3/ this is the hardest rule if a mate gets washed in NEVER GO AFTER THEM better 1 dead then 2, try to get some flotation device to EG an esky, go for help.

Also if your unlucky enough to get washed in swim away from the rock so the next wave wont smash you into the rock knocking you out

PS bad luck may have got the first bloke stupidity got the second :(

There is not a fish on this planet that is worth you life !!!!! REMEMBER SAFTEY SAFETY SAFETY on the rocks .You can always go back and fish another day if conditions arent good enough . When one of my mates told me at work about this terrible accident my heart began to race thinking it was one or two of our guys who fish there regularly .Thank god it wasnt .And to those two poor souls who lost thier lives fishing and even trying to save his mates life ,what a tragedy for all concerned and comiserations to all the family and friends who lost loved ones :(

Sincerely Swordfisherman

Edited by Guest

Hi Guys,

Of course, there's really no such thing as a freak wave. The sea conditions are always just as they are.

Whilst I'm no longer doing as much rock hopping as I did in the past, I started over forty years ago, and I'm still around. Although I had a couple of interesting moments in my early days when my life flashed before my eyes.

I've noticed many fishos just race on to the ledges and start fishing. In my humble opinion this is pretty dumb.

Much better to wait and observe the sea conditions from a high vantage point for ten minutes or more -- it's amazing how often "freak waves" are up to ten minutes apart.

And also to know know the state of the tide: a ledge that appears splashy but safe can often became covered by green water as the tide rises.

If you decide to fish, there really is safety in numbers. Many sets of eyes mean someone is likely to spot a wave creaping up on you and shout the warning call "water". You're most vulnerable when pre-occupied landing fish or baiting-up.

It's much better not being bowled over and washed in than worrying about being rescued or rescuing someone else -- many would be rescuers end up drowning themselves. Something to think about before you take the plunge.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

It is indeed very sad to hear of people losing their lives while doing something they love.

A question, does anyone know what the sea conditions were like yesterday? Any info you could give would be a good reference for the future, so we all know what conditions to be aware of. As a general rule, I never fish the stones when the swell is above 1.5 m. Depending on the direction of swell, I don't even fish a 1.5 m swell certain days. Fishing the rocks, I have never been in a situation I consider "dangerous" when following these guidelines. I read the article in the papers, and they mentioned a "freak" wave. Was it really a freak wave or was it just part of the wave cycle for that particular day? I have always found the sea reports to be quite accurate, and I believe that checking them is the best safety procedure when rock fishing. No amount of safety gear will keep you safe on the rock platform if there is a big swell!

There is a WAVE in winter time called the WESTERLY ROLL BACK which can catch you out at times .During the cooler months with pedominently westerly winds pushing towards NZ pressure waves build up and come back from the shakey isles and create a large slow rolling wave that on a really flat day has caught out some very surprised fishos :wacko:

Cheers Swordfisherman

It is unfortunate that the sea has claimed two more lives. I offer my condolences to the family of the two anglers.

Raiders, this sad event serves as a timely reminder to anyone venturing out onto the stones to give the ocean the respect it deserves.

If you aren't sure that conditions are suitable then give it a miss and go elsewhere for a fish. Come back another day. I have had some close calls on the rocks and understand completely how easy this sort of tradgedy can happen, especially under cover of darkness.

Here is a link to the "Rock Fishing Safety" page on the Fisheries web site that has some important safety information. Please take a few minutes to read it, and pass it on to anyone you know who may benefit from it.

We can only hope that the message of safety on the rocks gets through to all anglers, so no more lives are lost in the pursuit of the sport we all love.

Shane

:1fishing1:

I think its sad that peole have died, but really this shit happens fairly regularly, and I bet 9 times outa 10 its because of stupidity or ignorance.

Its basically like a teenager flogging his car and wrapping it around a telegraph pole. the ocean can be a bloody dangerous place.

IMO if you can't swim, have no idea about safety or use safety gear, and don't take the proper precautions you have no place rock fishing.

Admittedly accidents happen, but this shit happens far to often. Sooner or later some bastard will sue, and then councils will end up banning rock fishing and the like becaus of litigation fears

I wasn't there but a friend of mine was swept off the rocks a few years ago at Avoca and a friend jumped in. Luckily both were rescued but it was a very scary time for all involved.

So when I heard the story on the news the other day I really wasn't surprised. My girlfriend and I have been fishing in alot of different areas lately but I told her Avoca was the one place I would never take her unless we're going purely for the beach and the fish and chips shop :thumbup: .

My heart really goes out to the families and although this was a tragic event, it has also provided us with an important lesson. If you're that keen of a fisherman please follow the advice previously posted or just don't risk it. No fish is worth your own life.

Cheers

Paul

Well put Grant

Like them or not, its heart breaking to loose a loved one and you can never know the full extent until you go through it.

There is no greater pain than to loose a child or for a child to loose a dad or mum.

There a lot to be said to make it compulsory to wear a buoyancy vest when fishing off the rocks and save not just your life but the trauma you would put your loved ones through.

Cheers

Martin

I think its sad that peole have died, but really this shit happens fairly regularly, and I bet 9 times outa 10 its because of stupidity or ignorance.

Its basically like a teenager flogging his car and wrapping it around a telegraph pole. the ocean can be a bloody dangerous place.

IMO if you can't swim, have no idea about safety or use safety gear, and don't take the proper precautions you have no place rock fishing.

Admittedly accidents happen, but this shit happens far to often. Sooner or later

Admittedly accidents happen, but this shit happens far to often. Sooner or later some bastard will sue, and then councils will end up banning rock fishing and the like becaus of litigation fears

I'm have to agree with Inked, its usually idiots who wreck things for the rest of us

I cant see myself ever wearing a life jacket on the rocks

i went to avoca last saturday and the sea was pretty rough... So i ended up site seeing rather than to fish.

Call me coward but its not fun if your constantly worried out the BIG WAVES.

PS I saw many fishos leaving when the sea was getting rougher..

I guess people are starting to learn.