First time out in the finished tinny

jordan.widz

G'day Raida's

Finally after a solid 6 or so months I finally got out for a fish on the tinny my dad and I have been building. We originally bought an old tinny that had holes in it and was falling apart, cut out some seats and installed a full floor and front and rear casting deck in it. Also along with hatches, storage and many other accessories in it.

Anyway we shot down to Berowra this afternoon for its first run and was very impressed with it. Very stable, handled the wake from other boats well and was so easy to fish out of. :thumbup:

The bite was pretty slow for most the day until the sun got lower in the sky and we had a great session landing and dropping!!! :ranting2: some nice flatties, whiting, tailor and my first bream on a lure. All fish were caught and released on blades fished in the shallows.

post-14559-020130700 1306058942_thumb.jpg

first fish landed in the tinny

And here are some before and after pics of the boat

Before:

post-14559-040437100 1306059087_thumb.jpg post-14559-067104900 1306059089_thumb.jpg

After:

post-14559-095644000 1306059332_thumb.jpg post-14559-061663100 1306059337_thumb.jpg post-14559-086172300 1306059340_thumb.jpg post-14559-044922700 1306059345_thumb.jpg post-14559-052619800 1306059348_thumb.jpg

There are 5 hatches up the front and 2 down the back and we put a 25hp mercury on the back which pushes it along pretty well.

Heres some stats on the boat:

- 13m of aluminium angle

- 100+ rivets and screws

- 6 square metres of carpet

- 2x 8x4ft sheets of plywood

- 1lt of etch primer

- 2lt of top coat

- and about 3 months of sanding to get the paint off

So there there it is, no small job but very rewarding in the end!

Cheers,

Prawn Star

Thanks everyone, just can't wait till I get my p's now and i'll be out on it every day :biggrin2:

Gotta be careful if you mean your red P's, you can only tow a max load of 250kg (eg Trailer + boat plus everything else, fuel ice and the added weight from your mods could push it over that mark) or you can get done for it and lose ya P's

Either way mate nicely done! Been considering doing a similar project myself for awhile now!

Great job on the tinny mate. Makes me want to get to work on mine.

How much do you think the whole job cost you if you don't mind my asking?

Again well done on what looks like and has already proven to be a classy fish catcher.

Tight lines,

Mike

Gotta be careful if you mean your red P's, you can only tow a max load of 250kg (eg Trailer + boat plus everything else, fuel ice and the added weight from your mods could push it over that mark) or you can get done for it and lose ya P's

Either way mate nicely done! Been considering doing a similar project myself for awhile now!

yeh Cut loose is right there, max 250kg unloaded weight, so as I understand as long as my trailer is under 250kg (which it is) I should be able to tow it.

but good luck if you decide to do something similar, it's a great way to save money and you can get it set up exactly how you want it

Great job on the tinny mate. Makes me want to get to work on mine.

How much do you think the whole job cost you if you don't mind my asking?

Again well done on what looks like and has already proven to be a classy fish catcher.

Tight lines,

Mike

hmmm I stopped counting at at around $2000, we got the boat, motor, trailer pretty cheap and it was all in pretty bad condition to begin with. but the welding on the boat was done for free from a family friend so that saved us a fair bit of money. Im guessing the end build cost would have to be around $2500 - 2800 for everything including the leccy, battery, and other little accessories.

theres still more to be done yet tho, rod holders, sounder and a cover are all on the list, seems like its never ending.

yeh Cut loose is right there, max 250kg unloaded weight, so as I understand as long as my trailer is under 250kg (which it is) I should be able to tow it.

but good luck if you decide to do something similar, it's a great way to save money and you can get it set up exactly how you want it

Would this be right? If so u could potentially load a 200kg trailer with a 1t load?

from the rta website, hope it's helps

*Observe towing restrictions (you are only allowed to tow light trailers of up to 250 kilograms unloaded weight).

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/car/provisional_licence.html

Edited by jdu174